Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Can a Christian attend a mosque?

Obviously, with a headscarf.I am Christian and I wear a headscarf anyway, would I be welcome if I entered a mosque?And, if a Christian enters a mosque without a headscarf, would she be given one on entrance or just refused admitance?

Dear,

Peace upon you.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

Mosque is the House of Al-Mighty God Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala. Every mankind are slave of God. Every mankind have the right to be in God's House. During Prophet and Apostle of Al-Mighty God Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu'alaihi Wassalam All meeting with Christians and other religion are done in the Mosque. Sooner or later the Christians shall be Muslims. Therefore let them be in the Mosque.

Wabillahhitaufiq Walhidayah Wassalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahhi Wabarakatuh.

There are some countries like Morocco for example where they don't allow non Muslims to enter mosques, and I think the reason for that is because unfortunately some visitors were treating the mosques as tourist sites and behaving inappropriately there, so they decided to exclude all non Muslims.

In Western countries though, that isn't a problem and all major Islamic Centres and Mosques welcome visitors. It's not unusual to see non Muslim visitors being shown around the prayer areas etc., and the regular attendees at the mosque understand that people sometimes come to observe what goes on inside a mosque and it's not a big deal. I expect the Muslims you meet at the mosque will be charmed and probably somewhat surprised that you as a female Christian routinely cover your hair. Most Muslims are completely unaware of this tradition in Christianity. It is something that deserves respect and I hope they can learn from meeting you that not all Christians are secularised and there are those who take modesty seriously, just as Muslims do.

Apart from the hair covering, the other thing to remember is to take off your shoes before entering the prayer area, which is carpeted. You will see racks or shelves where the shoes are stored and you can leave them there. If you do decide to go, I hope you will have a good visit!

Of course you can! I guess it depends on where you go whether they tell you to put on a headscarf or not, but I'm sure some of them don't mind anyway, but it's just good to wear it for respect. But a christian can definately attend a mosque. We like to welcome other people to learn about our religion.

• XXXX

There is no mixed congregation in the Mosques.

Women have a separate entrance and prayer section.

Women must be dressed with no exposing of body.

example: head covering, no transparent clothings, long cloak appropriate.

Muslim women dont wear makeup or perfume when making Salaah (prayers) at Mosque.

Muslim women go to Mosque in greater purification of Al-Ghusl (full hygiene bath).

Women in haid (menstruation) has to refrain from going to Mosque.

Should have knowledge of Mosque procedures and etiquettes.

(There are open days of Mosque tours for non-Muslim's, arrangements can be made with the Mosque official or tourist agent).

Most mosques are open to visitors as long as they are respectful but it may vary in different areas. In Morocco there are only 2 mosques that allow non-Muslims to enter.

As for covering your head, I have entered a mosque uncovered before and was not offered a scarf. I was treated as an observer and no one was offended by my appearance.

I don't know if there is any obligation about coming without a headcovering but if you have headscarf you are welcomed. Our Christian teacher has been to mosques with headcovering.

I'd believe it would not be wise to go without a headcovering cause it can be considered disrespect.

sure you can. infact mosques on the whole should encourage non muslims to attend. you might not be able to participate with the prayers but you will be allowed to atleast watch from a distance. but i must warn you hide your shoes well you might not see them on your way out. and its not a non muslim thing many people have lost their shoes at my local mosque muslims and non muslims.

btw the headscarf thing can change from mosque to mosque the more chilled out relaxed mosques wont care so much but the orthodox strict abiding mosques might.

course you can and mosques are awesome :D

anywho ive been in a church with a headscarf on (muslim btw)

and they didnt bother about me so now why would they bother about you in our mosques

Sure.

If a non-muslim is about to enter a masque without scarf , they should give her one . Mosques belong to God and everyone is welcomed .

I'm not Muslim but at my local mosque everyone is always welcome. They also have special times for non-Muslims to meet and talk and ask questions to the Imams and locals. Also, non-Muslims are very welcome to Iftar (break the fast) :o)