What's an example of magic(al) realism?

I don't want some person's book or short story. I would like an idea to use for a short story because I'm pulling up a huge blank.

And I can't use an angel because we already used that example in class.

• noname

Did you see the movie Thelma & Louise? Magical realism was when they had driven for miles up the highway into dry mountains with no commercial amenities or trees or anything, and up pedals a bicyclist.

The magical realism is in the impossible being treated as actual fact. (You can tell your teacher that an angel is more a religious miracle than magical realism.) In Love in the Time of Cholera, Marquez presents as plausible reality that a man who had been dead for years comes in to see the protagonist, the dead man being perfectly alive flesh and blood.

Think more along the lines of paradox and impossibility, and less about ghosts and angels, and you can make your own idea.

• Erika

RE: Magical Realism Examples???? howdy all, i pick to discover some examples of Magical Realism. that's because i pick to position in writing a short tale in this type, in spite of the indisputable fact that the reality is that I dont comprehend this type all too properly. in view that this is a school aspect type, I dont have a lot interplay with the instructor. All i pick is a few...

It could be something simple like a main character who is a scientist but goes home to keep company with the ghost of a deceased roommate/family member/lover etc. I'm just thinking of magical realism crossing a rational view of the world with an almost commonplace acceptance of the supernatural.

Good luck.

There are two parts to magical realism:

1) Taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary

or

2) Taking the extraordinary and turning it to the ordinary.

Good example is Garcia-Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold.