who is the greatest blues artist of all time in your opinion?

explain your reasoning. mine is robert johnson, i mean he is the guy that eric clapton tried to sound like for most of his career and he never could thats pretty good in my opinion.

It took thousands upon thousands of artists over a century, so I would not name any as the greatest. Too many styles and approaches. I have a long list of favorites, but anyone can post a list.

Albert King. The guy's playing and singing were fantastic and his influence was huge. His style figured in huge to those of Eric Clapton and others, especially SRV.

• nick k

hard to say robert johnson was 1 of the fathers of acoustic blues but the great thing about blues is that every1 has a story and a diffrent way of telling it. check out rory gallagher.

I agree on Robert Johnson being the first innovator and one of the best, but I really love Leadbelly 'cause his vocals and lyrics just hit you, ya know?

Ry Cooder is in my opinion the best and most underrated blues man of his time. His work with the slide is not only very bluesy but also beautiful. His voice is almost cliche of blues. There is so much soul behind his work that it is nothing short of angelical. The Mississippi blues is what it became partially because of him, in my opinion

• eggman

B.B. King... Truly the 'King' of the Blues. The guy was just amazing, I mean, you can hear the emotion in what he does, and by hearing it, you can FEEL it... this was one seriously sad man, a master of the blues IMHO.

Maybe this will convince you... check out the link:

Eric Clapton.

He's just great. I don't know why but a I love his music.

I have to agree that Albert King is the man

Muddy Waters, because he was so important to Chicago blues, my favourite genre.

Louis Armstrong. Skatting and What a Wonderful World are awesome. he sounds so unique!