How is McCain being a maverick when he is forced to select a VP that is more like what the GOP base wants? ?

McCain wanted his long time friend Lieberman, and was prepared to pick Ridge or Pawlenty. Pawlenty was slated to be the VP pick until at the last minute when McCain was forced to pick ultraconservative Sarah Palin in order to please the GOP base, which had long been dismissive of his "independence". How can it be... show more McCain wanted his long time friend Lieberman, and was prepared to pick Ridge or Pawlenty. Pawlenty was slated to be the VP pick until at the last minute when McCain was forced to pick ultraconservative Sarah Palin in order to please the GOP base, which had long been dismissive of his "independence". How can it be claimed that McCain is still the "maverick" that he once had been?
Update: I posted this same question last night, but Y!A had it deleted, the explanation as follows:

"Violation Reason:Not a Question or Answer"

Oh, indeed? Let's see if Y!A removes this question again.
Update 2: Where did I get this "information" about McCain? Why, I watch tv and listen to the political analysts, many of who are saying the same thing. Including some in McCain's own camp. Stay current, folks, those that think this was pulled out of thin air.
Update 3: Remo Ω Aviron, what I disagree with you is McCain didn't "pick Palin on a whim", since he was obviously concerned about erosion of his GOP base. It was a tactical decision, however he came around to making it. However, he has sold his soul to the devil in doing that. I really miss the old McCain,... show more Remo Ω Aviron, what I disagree with you is McCain didn't "pick Palin on a whim", since he was obviously concerned about erosion of his GOP base. It was a tactical decision, however he came around to making it. However, he has sold his soul to the devil in doing that. I really miss the old McCain, and in spite of his years of honorable service to this country, I can't vote for him now. I will not ever risk this country to Palin.