is commuting to London everyday for work a nightmare?

it will take an hour for me on the train from where i live. then maybe 20 minutes on the underground. if you commute to london for work everyday, or know someone who does it.. is it not too bad or a complete nightmare? and have you found it impossible to do things in london in the evenings due to the long distance from home?

I worked in London for the best part of 20 years. Tried all sorts of ways to get in from overground trains to underground to buses to driving to riding a motorbike.

It was always an absolute bloody nightmare.

Been stuck on a C2C train for 4 hours when someone damaged the overhead lines, and they even shut off the district line at the same time when they chucked us out at East Ham.

Been stuck on the underground, stood with everybody packed in, in conditions worse than they transport cattle, for 2 hours.

Sat on a bus and been threatened with a knife if I didn't hand over my mobile (tough luck for that idiot - 18 years of training in various martial arts proved that for him).

Sat in more traffic than I could count. Boring but at least you are in your own space, at your own temperature, listening to your choice of music.

Rode motorbikes in for about 10 years. Big bikes can be a bit hard work in heavy traffic. I found the best for me was a 600 old style Yamaha XJ600. Kept it for years with another bike (Yamaha XJR 1300) for the fun times. The ride was mostly OK except for the idiot car drivers, and the times when the weather turned really crappy (snow and ice).

At the end I could take it no more. It all drove me completely nuts.

My answer now (as I am older and wiser {I would like to believe but the wife says otherwise}) is I work 20 minutes drive from home. Takes half an hour on bad days. If I have to travel in to London I travel outside the peak periods and it is almost a pleasure. I work all over the UK and London is by far the worst with Manchester close behind. But I always stay locally (in hotels) and travel outside the peak hours whenever I can.

most people i know commute to London, it is very gruelling but the money is so much better in London so its the price you pay!... also you will be very tired as you're adding three hours to ur working day!

as for going out in London in the evening, it really depends on when ur last train home is or if u have somewhere to crash... and if u will stay awake that long!

if u find the journey difficult, maybe consider moving closer to London?

I drive a juggernaut into London every day,,trust me my friend,you will be better on the train no matter how long your journey takes

Why not get yourself a scooter, like a Vespa or something? Loads of people use them in London nowadays!

When I lived there 30yrs. ago, it was a nightmare going to, travelling within and, leaving London.

Yes, I did it for 15 years !! Nightmare !

from here it would be, 3000 miles or so, hell of a long day!!