Is it pathetic to be afraid of dating?

I am only 19..but it is just a fear. I have ''dated'' a couple of guys...but nothing serious. I'm not really fearful of commitment, but I just don't like idea of put into an uncomfortable position with a person I don't know. I'm not really shy, but I get a lot of anxiety. And as I sit there and think of what it... show more I am only 19..but it is just a fear. I have ''dated'' a couple of guys...but nothing serious. I'm not really fearful of commitment, but I just don't like idea of put into an uncomfortable position with a person I don't know. I'm not really shy, but I get a lot of anxiety. And as I sit there and think of what it might be like, I start getting really anxious and it makes me not want to go on the date.

I'll admit I am a very independent person, I like me time, and can be very selfish when it comes to spending time alone, and personal space. I don't know what is going on..I was asked to go on a double date w/ my best friend, her bf and one of the guys he works with. One part of me says go and have fun, and one says why put yourself in an awkward position. Of what I have been told..I think I may be too quick to judge. He doesn't seem like my type, but then again I don't know if I am just making excuses.

I don't know what to do, or what to think..and I really think I am making too big of a deal of this whole thing, but I really am kind of scared.

ANY advice would helppp!