Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

How do you help someone who is feeling depressed?

2) What advice(s) would you give them?

Favorite Answer

requires a lot of patience, although depending on who it is and how much time you spend with the person.

try to never disagree with things that s/he's sensitive to, if you disagree then just avoid. most chance if you are having disagreements while s/he's depressed, s/he's try to avoid you atleast in some aspects.

Mainly advice when s/he asks for it... or when s/he is complaining, or venting, say positive things, don't let him/her self esteem go down, and never make the person feel criticised.

do not advise without fully understanding the person, or situation.

also depends on how depressed the person is. is it getting to the stage that they face hardship in the simplest of tasks? if it is, you can always try to find out what s/he's planning for rest of the day or week, and help accomplish it.

one can have trouble just thinking that I have to get up, take a shower and get out by 10 am. meeting deadlines, and appointment is really extremely hard if it is chronic depression.

do something s/he likes togather, and sometimes people facing depression needs a push on things, but they cannot handle it all the time. i.e. they might want to do something for the day, and increase in motivation, but loose motivation in less than 5 min, if someone helps, s/he might be able to get it done, but if s/he is in the state of not able to make him/herself, then s/he might feel the push as too much.

sometimes s/he might not be interested in anything, except the things that are bothering him/her, this is when s/he might not want to talk to anyone, and not want to do anything.

there are may be many other things, and ofcourse reading Qur'aan, praying extras, tahajjud, and making supplications really helps, even if momentarily. And I don't recommend GP, because one might have to go to a phsychiatrist, and their suggestions are not Islaamic, and also many medication has parmanent adverse effects. when one isn't getting along with the doc, s/he might feel repelled from going to them when in need also. some people in depression found help in the medications to get back on track, but me personally would never recommend it.

nevertheless, counselling from imaam, or practicing Muslim counsellors can help if you can find one.

and chronic depression, people cries for no apparent reason, don't say it'd be okay, or why are you crying, don't cry.. it is just part of it.. just be there. s/he'd feel that atleast someone is on him/her side.. this makes the recovery much faster than having no support from family and loved ones.

Source(s): from my experience.
  • J4551

Just make sure they know that they are not alone and you are there for them and will help them through this difficult time. As for advice, depends on the situation - why they are depressed etc but If you think it is really bad you should perhaps tell someone related to them? Or perhaps offer to go to a counsiller/ give them any relevant phone numbers.

All in all , just be there for them.

• That's a hard one! I've been severely depressed a few years ago. I got professional counseling, and i worked through most of the issues and finally started dealing with things i had 'forgotten'.

What helped me a lot when it came to the people close to me, that they did not nag or tell me 'things will be better soon' or forced me to go outside (i got panic attacks in shops etc) but told me 'take your time, if you need to talk or need a shoulder to cry on, i'm here'.

I wanted to be left alone mostly, to work through the pain from the past.

I know it was hard for them when they heard me crying my heart out not to come nag me but i was lucky enough to get the space i needed and to have the support of my loved ones when i needed it and finally was ready to talk.

So my advice would be: don't nag, force or push some one, but let them know you are there if they need you.

The thing you must not do is say anything like, "Just snap out of it!" Depression is a medical condition, just like the flue or cancer. It requires medical attention. Tell your friend not to wait. The longer a person is depressed, the harder it is to treat. Also, a long term depression can permanently damage the brain.

Well just talk through their problems and find out why this person is feeling depressed, and find a way to make them feel better.

Just be there for the person, and let them know you are there for them.

They will automatically feel better knowing that someone cares about them.

It depends on the type of depression they suffer with. Clinical depression cannot be 'treated' with advice...and reactive depressions are more likely to be helped with gentle support and just being around if needed.

Advice is near useless.

I can ONly help by telling him to be Patient and make Dua for the reason hes Depressed !

• My best advice is to pray 5 times a day, there is no way someone who prays 5 times a day can still be depressed, it's almost impossible.

Show them what the women in eastern Congo have suffered, and yet they can be optimistic and hopeful about the future:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4356720n

Pray read Quran and then take a nap after lunch.

InshaAllah time will let it go.

peace