Lv 4

why isnt domestic abuse taken into consideration...

...during custody/access cases? why do people think that abuse just stops at the woman? basically my ex verbally and physically abused me but i still have to hand my kids over to him because he has never hit them and its his 'right' to see them...im basically playing the waiting game waiting for the damage to be done, why is the law like that? any advice on how to deal with this?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

because your ex didnt do anything to the kids..it was between you and him..

just because he does that to you doesnt mean that he will do anything to harm his children..

now let him harm the kids once...then he wouldnt b able to see them...

• rrm38
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If there were substantial evidence to support the physical abuse that took place in your home, the courts would have at least required supervised visitation. The problem in most cases is that people don't document the physical abuse. They either don't report it or they don't file charges when it occurs. With little to nothing on record, the abuser suffers no loss of privilege. Sadly, the only thing the courts can go on is documented abuse. There must be proof or it didn't happen as far as they're concerned. Just make sure that you keep an eye on your kids for signs of abuse. It's really all that you can do at this point. If you do recognize any signs, be certain that they're documented. Take pictures, keep physician's reports, file police reports, etc. If he does abuse the kids you will be able to have the visitations stopped, or at least supervied. Good luck to you.

• dad
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

My ex wife would do the same to me for crying out loud and i got the kids . But she is good to her kids when she does see them . It had nothing to do with the kids . I stand by the door waiting for her to pick them up just so i can get a little break .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Listen just because he hates your guts, doesnt mean that is the same for the kids. I hate my ex, but love my kids. Get it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.