is it possible to "blow up" seagulls with alka selkzer or bicarb of soda?

not that i would but just to clear the urban myth, any1 tried it ??

Here is the scoop on bird poop. Birds do not have the capability to pass gas. They cannot burp or fart. When fed something that expands, as alka seltzer does, the gases that build up have no place to escape to. Once the stomach is full to popping, that is exactly what it does. It explodes inside the birds body. In NYC, I believe, it is illegal to throw rice at wedding outside because the pigeons (the thousands of them) will swoop down to eat the free food. Rice, when mixed with stomach acids or even just water, expand. It causes NYC to have a huge mess of dead pigeons to clean up. I have not ever tried it personally, but there are the facts behind the myth which I would consider a true story. They do not visually blow up as a stick of dynamite makes things blow up, but they do blow up inside and do, indeed, die. Anything that expands will kill a bird. Hope this cleared things up!

• feagle

How To Make A Seagull

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axBMw

I already answered this once, and didn't even get the ten points. However, AGAIN, birds can't burp or fart (it's just a biological flaw), and have no way to get rid of the gas from alka seltzer. Depending on the size of the bird and the amount of alka seltzer, you can blow up a bird. So YES. It is True.

Well in answer to your question YES. Do not do it though. That is cruel. When I worked in Florida at the Sheraton Hotel we had some rolls we were throwing out and I being a young guy didn't know that yeast can do this very thing. Well after I threw 1 roll to the birds the Manager told me to stop because it can kill them. Lesson learned. Fortunately I didn't see any of the birds have any trouble but I may have killed one if it weren't for a smarter person telling me about it.

• Wilson

Yes, it is possible. Birds do not have the capability of farting or burping. So when you give it coke, and then put a menthos in there, the gasses will build up to the point where the stomach explodes. When the stomach explodes, then the gasses will be released through the feathers. But the blast from the stomach could end up blowing body parts off as well. I would not reccomend trying this. As for whether the birds would feel the pain, probably not. They might get the sense of extreme bloding, but they wouldn't be in pain when the stomach pops because they would die almost instantly.

• Bren

i have heard of it but given the number of seagulls round here and the mess they make on my washing already i dont think i want to try it dont fancy exploded seagull bits over my garden.

You best learn respect for wild life and get a life , what kind of person are you that would even think of doing such a cruel thing to a living creature , a sad example of the lack of respect of the present gernation

saranora dnear

I hope not but i have heard its possible, What kind of person would do that?? an ignorant ill educated nasty one!

And if you give me a thumbs down im obviously refering to you!!

Yes it is possible but cruel so don't even attempt it! I have never done it personally but my brother-in-law has.

mix rice in as well for the "pebble dash" effect.