how many wise men went to visit Jesus at his birth

How many wise men went to visit Jesus at his Birth

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Dave
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

it doesn't say... it only mentions the 3 gifts that were given...

• 1 decade ago

No one really knows. The tradition for three comes from the three gifts given to the infant Jesus at about the age of two by the wise men. Unfortunately many assume that the wise men were at the birth, when they really arrived about two years later. The shepherds and angels were present at the birth.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

With three gifts it is assumed that there were, Three Wise Men!

Mat 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

Mat 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

Mat 2:3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

Mat 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.

Mat 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,

Mat 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

Mat 2:7 Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

Mat 2:8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

Mat 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

Mat 2:10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

Mat 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and WORSHIPPED him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; GOLD, and FRANDINCENCE, and MYRRH.

• 1 decade ago

None, the shepherds went first. Nobody ever tells the story right. It has always drove me nuts! But they went the HOUSE where they staying and worshipped him. They presented 3 gifts. By then if you do the math, etc. Its believed he was about 2 yrs old.He is referred to as the Christ CHILD.But because there were 3 gifts people ASSUME there were 3 wise men. It never states their names anywhere in scripture, specifically.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

No one knows who they were or what their names were. It is assumed that they were astrologers from Persia who had been observing star conjunctions that had specific meanings in their religion. A conjunction was occurring that meant that a holy king was born in Judea, and they went to verify this. In the following years, a whole story was invented, giving these men names and possible places of origin, king status, and so on. We don't even know there were three, but the three gifts made people think that meant three givers. The word Magi (singular Magus) meant wise people with esoteric knowledge. It's the root word of magician.

• 1 decade ago

The Bible does not say, but since they were traveling from quite some distance, it might be reasonable that there were more than the "traditional three".

This was a delegation that was coming to see a new "king". And of course safety was a concern of any traveler of that day.

The visit did not take place at his birth, but sometime later as Matthew chapter 2 attests to.

• 1 decade ago

The Bible does not indicate how many Wise Men there were. But it is usually conjectured that there were three, because of the three gifts that are mentioned.

• 1 decade ago

Zero at birth. Zero two years later. The word translated "wise men" in some Bibles actually meant "astrologers".

• 1 decade ago

None, they didn't get there 'till he was back home and roughly about two years old

then, three gifts were mentioned and not how many of each

no # given as to how many wise men

• 1 decade ago

no one really knows. people think three because three gifts were mentioned, but that doesn't necessarily mean that. my son got gifts of books, toys and clothes for his birthday- that doesn't mean 3 people came and each brought him one of those. it's just like a sum up of some things that were presented to him. also, history shows he was more likely a toddler by the time anyone came to see him. they traveled on foot from afar. i would imagine that many came to see the son of God over a period of time

• 1 decade ago

Nativity scenes always show three but I don't think there was ever a number stated, except that the kings brought 3 gifts.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.