Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Definition of Few, couple, and several

my wife and i are arguing about these definitions (meaning what numbers are used for what), and i want to know who is right, ha ha. so if anyone could put in your two bits, that would be great!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

i think "several" is way different from both "few" and "couple," meaning many or a majority of things. like "pick up several of those rocks," implies to take a lot. a "few" and "couple" seem to be pretty similar though..couple relates to pairs or a small handful of rocks... lol sorry i'm using rocks as an example. few's smaller than couple i think.

• Ben C6 years agoReport

"Few is smaller that couple"??? No way, a couple means two, so you're say a few means one?

• 1 decade ago

Few-3-4

Several-5 or more

Couple-2

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a few can be anywhere from 3 or 4 to 15 to 30 minutes number of apples etc,. It is an indefinite number to be resolved when the asker says it is over, a couple is 2, but may be 3 or 4, depending on where the asker went to school, several may be at least 3, but less than 10.In the long run, these are expressions of uncertainty wherein the person using the phrase has no idea of how much, or how many so it is used as an unambiguous detail saving excuse. Not every one will agree on a definitive answer, so basically all the terms are just a guess.

Source(s): alton senior high school, siue, and jr. college.
  • 3 years ago

Couple Definition

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • spies
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Few Definition

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Definition of Few, couple, and several

my wife and i are arguing about these definitions (meaning what numbers are used for what), and i want to know who is right, ha ha. so if anyone could put in your two bits, that would be great!

Source(s): definition couple several: https://tr.im/wg7Kh
  • 1 decade ago

I think few and several are subjective, always in the eye/opinion of the speaker. We hope that our family/mate speaks the same language and intuitively knows what we mean by "few," "a few" (which is more than "few"), and several. For me a couple may mean as many as three, but for people who are more literal, only two.

Few and several: it depends I guess on how many you believe there SHOULD be. If you think a good number is seven, you might say several. But if you think there should be nineteen and there are only seven, you might say there are few.

• 4 years ago

A couple literally means two. A few means either literally three or roughly three or not many. Several means four to seven. Many means more than seven.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.