Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why is it only [some of] the Christians asking what atheists are doing here and/or hoping we will go away?

Are pagans and the people of other religions that post on this board more tolerant and less insecure? Other explanations for this clearly observable phenomenon?

I suspect it has more to do with the emotional maturity (or lack thereof) on the part of certain Christians than anything else.

There are people - and this is hardly unique to the religious, Christian or otherwise, that aren't really capable of debate, or even tolerance for those with whom they would disagree.

These sorts of people have very clear, very simple, assertions; always framed in a black and white, either/or context. When they ask questions, we disagree with them at out our peril, for they are not really questions, but rather assumptions that they really only want validated, or prejiduces that they want confirmed.

There are plenty of these people around, and they are probably more obvious in places like YA, as they can afford to be more vocal as, unlike in the real world, there is a great deal of anonimity here.

If you think R&S is bad, browse the Q & A in the politics section - it makes even the rabid fundamentalists in this section look almost.... reasonable, lol!

Ok look, I'm agnostic leaning toward atheism, but I have to agree with the Christians on this one. This is a section that is used to discuss religion, mainly by Christians. We may not like it, but that's the way it is. You can't come in here and then act surprised when you are asked "what are you doing here?" Especially when so many atheists insult or mock Christians.

I'm not saying you should stop, I'm all for a good laugh, especially at religions expense. But stop acting surprised when people question why you are here.

Christianity promotes having a broad mind i.e. the broadness of a hydrogen nucleus. LOL

Pagans are cool with us because they get picked on by the Christians as well (because of the christian value of MY GOD OR NO GOD!!!) this too goes for some of the other religions, they too get picked on by Christians.

Other religions don't attack us because they've learned that if we are just left alone we won't attack them. We may ask questions about their religions but they usually are in good faith and are for the purpose of expanding our understanding of their way of life.

The Christians (some of) insist on continually attacking atheists for being on the R&S bord. As atheists we are free to discuss our views on religion like it or not (also the maths and science bords aren't as funny as R&S). If they don't like it they can just stop coming on line.

enjoy

Source(s): Atheist

yeah its always the cooky Christan's- no other religion does this and is in Ur face, so far i experienced. Their like" why dont u belive" !!! I'm like because of you !!!

Their behavior is very arrogant isn't it, has no respect of others opinions, thoughts, lifestyle etc... urgh i really dont like Christians- have u guys met any born again Christians, their even more pathetic and annoying. An earthquake should crack a gapping hole and they all should fall in. Pray for that !

Don't forget Muslims as well,although I agree about Pagans.

I really thought about this, too.

But when you watch mankind, you can see that some people take the biggest delight in breaking into other peoples homes, searching for the most precious their fellow- human- beings have and piss and **** onto it, then go out again, laugh a little and forget about it.

And those coming home, seing it, remeber how much we learned from our mistakes due to Hitler, or Stalin, or Mao, Or Titus ( which is: nothing ) and thus just lay their trust in their Creator alone, waitung in patience for His Judgement and until that Day just try to at leat stay decent themselves without shitting and pissing into other peoples` homes.

Considering that I had my account suspended at the weekend, I would definitely say that they are hoping we will go away....

I also agree with your assertion that they are less tolerant than their theist counterparts....

Grrrrr....

Some of them seem to have it in their heads that religion is exclusive to Christianity.

Thus the need for territorial pissing.

I think they make up the majority. Although I've never seen an Islamic tell us to go away..

I think it's more like if you are an atheist then that's your choice, hooray for you, and if you an atheist then why come onto a sight where people want answers about their faith (choice), hooray for us, we don't need to or want to hear about your choice. If you want to proclaim your atheism begin an atheist forum/category to discuss you faith with others of your choice.

Peace.