bhj618 asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Hearing voices? I know I am!?

It only happens when I'm desperately tired. I'm not asleep yet. I'm fully functional (Although tired), but I will hear people talking. I know it's not in the house or anything, because I'm the only one here. It's just bits and pieces of faint conversation. I can never make out any of it because when I try to hone in on what they are saying it abruptly stops. Sometimes they sound angry for just a few words, or they talk really really fast, but most of the time it just sounds like I walked in on two or three people having a conversation, when I'm sitting down at the computer or making a cup of coffee. I've had this happen to me since I was a kid. Is there some kind of official name or something for these disembodied conversations I hear in my head? lol. I just hope I'm not becoming schizophrenic.

I have been becoming increasingly paranoid of my friends and family, but It's not insane, like I think they are aliens or pod people or anything. Just thinking they are angry at me when they're not. ALL THE TIME. I keep misinterpreting their words, or body language.

Sleep deprivation is known to cause psychotic states and hallucinations. Use the following to ensure such does not recur:

INSOMNIA: Exercise, but not within 2 hours of bedtime. Have a warm bath, or shower, an hour before bedtime, then a glass of very warm milk, possibly with Horlicks, or one of the herbal teas, below, and use dimmer lighting. Put your mind in a position where it wants to shut itself off, and sleep. See insomnia treatments, in much more detail than can be included here, in section 3, at ezy build, below. Use one of the relaxation methods, in bed, after lights out, on pages 2, 11, 2.c, or 2.i, but they can take some time to learn, (progressive muscular relaxation excepted) so learn and become proficient in their use during the day.

An alternative is to use the EFT, in section 53, and pages 2.q, and 2.o, saying to yourself: "Even though I currently have a sleep disorder, I deeply and completely accept myself." (or choose your own wording) while you use the acupressure tapping. Some more; quick, and easy to learn, are at http://www.umm.edu/sleep/relax_tech.htm The progressive muscle relaxation, (most easily learned) guided imagery, and mindfulness breathing are known to be effective, although I haven't tried the other 2 methods.

Find out which works best for you, in the daylight hours, so you will be prepared, come bedtime. For many people, a good idea is to develop a set "wind down" routine for the last hour before bedtime, so your subconscious mind learns that it is time to put thinking aside, and prepare for mindfulness, (awareness, without cogitation/purposeful thought) or the EFT, in preparation for sleep, but the idea with mindfulness is to not even think about sleeping: just drift off, naturally, during exercising those techniques.

Avoid TV, computer, or anything exciting in this hour, although reading a BORING! book is a good idea. I suggest that you try using the EMDR variant, below, prior to the mindfulness, or the progressive muscular relaxation, but after the EFT, if that method is chosen. Experiment, to find which combination works best for you.

(The following is a variant of Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing therapy, which has been used successfully for those people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, insomnia, and anxiety: it is easily learned, quick to use, yet can be very effective. It is easy to be dismissive of such a seemingly unusual technique, but give it a good tryout, for at least a few weeks, to see if it is effective in your case).

Prior to using either of the methods in the above paragraph, first sit comfortably, and take a deep breath. Then, without moving your head, move your eyes from the left, to the right, and back again, taking around a second to do so (say: "a thousand and one": this takes approximately a second).

Repeat this procedure (without the words, although you can count, subvocally, if you like) 20 times: "A thousand and one; a thousand and two... " and so on, to a thousand and twenty. Then close your eyes and relax. Become aware of any tension or discomfort you feel.

Then open your eyes, and take another deep breath, and repeat step one, closing your eyes, and relaxing afterwards, in the same manner. Then, repeat the procedure one last time. Some people may find that this is all they need do.

With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention. I have found that the 2 - 3 minutes spent using the EMDR markedly reduces distractions to the relaxation process, and is repaid many times over.

I also use it prior to my chosen relaxation technique, after lights out, at night. For more about Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy, showing recommendations by those who have used it, including a professional psychotherapist with more than 20 years of experience in that field, see sections 33 - 34, at ezy-build.

Usually, I have a cup of chamomile herbal tea, an hour before bedtime, and employ many of the techniques in section 3. Others may prefer Sleepytime, by Celestial Seasonings, Relax, Be Sleepy, or valerian root, from supermarket tea, or health food aisles. http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris

If your problem persists, view section 40, and get an EXPERT DIAGNOSIS, A.S.A.P.!

you may be one of those people who.. you know.. have special abilities. i have an uncle who tells us stories all the time about him hearing voices and seeing i know this may sound crazy, but sometimes he talks abt his experience where he sees the devil. if you are faithful, then you may believe in this, but if you aren't it's you're choice. my other aunt suggested that he finds a advisor to help him.. i'm not trying to scare you, but it's possible... it's either this, or you can just sleep. BUT, its also advisable for you to see a psychologist..

*hope this calms you down.;)) ♥

There is medication fr this kind of thing, it's called olanzapine.

I don't think your becoming a schizophrenic.

I agree with the first guy though, i think you sohuld just get some rest. Maybe a holiday?

So now you know what can happen when you're desperately tired! Most likely you're misinterpreting background noise as voices. You're not becoming psychotic.

it could be many things and don't worry, i'm sure you're not insane.

sleep deprivation?

it could be that you are psychic and hearing voices of spirits (idunno??)

it could be that you are lonely and these voices are here to make you feel better

i'm not sure to be honest but don't worry too much about it or it might get worse :] xx

Its just your brain beginning to dream early. But it is a sign of possible permanent damage to the brain, get rest now!

Just get plenty of sleep and rest and it will go away :)

• no you are not . take care . hope you have a wonderful day .

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

########################