My car doors unlock and lock but the drivers side door wont open when i pull the handle. Any ideas why?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

If the door does not open from inside or out side I would expect that the latch it's self may be stuck try a small amount of litheium greese on it. Then work it serveral times to loosen it up. Wipe up excess to aviod getting it on your self latter when you are all dressed up.

If it is just the inside handle that does not work;

it is most likely the conecteing bar. It is like a heavy wire or flat bar it sometimes becomes disconected from long term repetitive use the clip holding it may have come off. You will have to remove the interior door skin to access it. Use a tool designed for this process it will save the door skin and lots of time. Also makesure you have an additional clip for the connecting rod as they are small and easy to lose inside the door. When replaceing the door skin make sure you have extra clips; as they break easy to prevent damage to the skin when removeing.

The door hinges maybe wearing do you have to lift the door slightly to get it to closed proper. The other possibility is the door latch pin has become loose and out of alignment with use.

Most "Jobbers" (folks who do auto work as a hobbie or auto wreckers etc..) can fix this relatively cheep! If you have other little things to get fixed you can have them done at the same time and save money. they will charge by the hour. Let them know were to start. ie I suspect that connection to the handle inside has become disconnected. Support your hypothesis with the facts that which you have already stated. Hear thier response! if it sounds more plosiable go with them on it! Then be sure to ask; How long do you figure it would take to correct the problem? Before they start!

Any one worth their salt should be able to fix this within 45 minutes to one hour or less ( the time they charge you ). It could take longer if there are lots of control switches on the door so they don`t mess up the conections. Think of these small repairs as a test. Don t get P.O.ed with them just remember how they treat you for when you need major repairs!

Hope this helps. Of course see if you can get it your self first but if you get stuck try the above idea! Also if your the hands on type ask if they would mind you obsserving for future referance, but be sure to respect there space so they can do their work. There is nothing worse then having a critic hanging over your shoulder when your working.

• 4 years ago

This once happened to me except it was in the back seats and you could only not open it from the inside but anyway the child safety lock was on and wouldn't turn off, sorry I don't know how much it costs to get fixed though I hope this helps :)

• 1 decade ago

Probably the wire on the handle is broken so you gonna have to open the door and replace the wire, can also be the handle that is broken. The http://www.partsource.ca/ is a good place to buy the wire and you can fix by yourself or they can fix for you, i think. They also have some guides on do it yourself.

Good luck!!!

• Don W
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The handle broke or the linkage to the handle came off.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get a new handle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the arm is off or broken on the inside panel. see if it will open from the inside.

• 1 decade ago

yes the handle broke..

get a new one at ebay.com

• 1 decade ago

It's broken.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.