Is it legal for me to stand on public property near a doctor's office and express my negative feelings?

I don't want to be sued for libel/slander, but feel a dentist who treated me is a non-caring, all about money jerk.

Does anyone know (the dentist is in Rockledge, PA. Would I be within legal rights to hold a sign saying "I would NEVER return to this dentist."

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

your walking a narrow line... the line being defamation of character... i recomend you give up the "picket line" and report the dentist to the American dental assoc., the better biz bureau... consumer affairs... etc. you can also give him poor reviews on Kudzu.com, Craigslist.com and angieslist.com... but be careful what you say... else you may again be pressing defamation...

good luck

• Jack P

Yes, but use caution:

1. Do not create a disturbance. If you do, you could be cited for disorderly conduct.

2. Do not say anything that is not clearly true. "Publishing" a statement that is factually untrue or confidential can constitute defamation and is actionable.

3. Make sure you're on public property, or you could be cited for criminal trespass.

4. If the police come, be cooperative. It would not hurt to have a digital/cassette recorder with you. If the police arrive, inform them, politely, that you'll be recording the incident.

This being said, your activity may not do any good. Yet, you have a right to peaceably assemble.

Picketing, which is what you want to do, is legal in the U.S. as long as you do not interfere with or get in the way of business, and as long as you are not starting a riot or anything. You can say what you feel, as long as its truthful. a man in our town picketed a car dealership a few years ago, for selling him a lemon. He parked the car on the street near the place with a huge sign stating how he was sold a lemon, and people should not do business there. After a few days of this the dealer finally gave in and gave him a new car, because it was effecting their sales so much.

Better just to find another dentist. Unfortunately, many dentists are only in it for the money. And don't use 1 800 Dentist -- Dentists pay to get listed there, and they don't really screen them.

Don't waste your time. I am sure you are upset and mad right now, but the relief you will receive from this act will not last long enough to be worth your time. Since you apparently don't have grounds to sue for damages, it would be better to spend your time building yourself up than wasting time trying to tear down someone else. Life is too short to wage war against everyone that irritates us.

sure you can do it so long as you are expressing your opinion and not stating anything as a fact

on the other hand you very well could get the cops called on you and they don't care about your 1st amendment rights so they could order you to leave and if you don't comply you can be arrested for failing to follow the orders of a police officer

I agree, find other ways to go about this....complain to all the proper boards and make your OPINION known.

How about you find more productive things to do.

People will just assume you're a 'crazy.'

Just watch what you say

Not sure, but it sounds like slander to me.