Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Women are better DRIVERS? So Insurance companies know everything?

I like how some people think what an insurance company says or does is like God's word.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Am2_5...

Do you really believe women are better drivers? Women are more likely to get into accidents. Men are more likely to get into DEADLY accidents....... BUT, less likely to crash overall.

Also... Men are more likely to crash from wrecklessness while women are more likely to crash from incompetence and lack of skill.

So based on that, how can you say women are better drivers?

"Wedny G" I'm not saying it.. I'm repeating it from statistics.

"Do you really believe women are better drivers?"

It's not a matter of what WE believe it's a matter of facts, statistics and cost analysis.

Women and men drive very differently from each other.

For a male "safe driving" consists of getting from point A to point B as fast and sometimes wrecklessly as they can without accidents or tickets. Men are very self-assured drivers. Very rarely will you hear a male say "I suck at driving." This aggresive and cocky attitude makes them a risk.

For women "safe driving" consists of getting from point A to point B in a slower manner. They aren't as self-assured in themselves and their driving. Often they are very timid when it comes to things like merging, pulling into traffic, etc. Women also tend to multi-task more while driving. Make up, phone, handle kids, etc. While this isn't a very in safe thing to do, usually it doesn't result in serious wrecks. Many women also get into wrecks due to losing control and crashing into an embankment, backing into something, etc. These type of crashes result it little money lost by the insurance company.

From an insurance stand point it is safer AND cheaper to insure a woman because of the fact they are more likely to get into minor wrecks. It costs A LOT less for them to insure someone who is more likely to get into a minor wreck than it is for them to insure someone who is more likely to get in a devastatingly serious car crash that usually involves two or more vehicles. These type of crashes result in a major loss of many by the insurance companies.

Personally I think everyone should start on a clean slate and then their costs should increase/decrease depending on number of crashes, tickets, etc. BUT the only influence I have on an insurance company is how well I drive and what that does to my rates.

Pay out of pocket. I don't know about what state you live in but I know if a car came to the shop I work at and needs a painted bumper cover price of part + paint + labor is guaranteed to be over a grand. And she is correct with the costs possibly going up once the bumper is removed, if it doesn't come off easy, or if a bracket or mounting spot is bent it will cost more to repair that as well. Also if it goes through insurance she will have a chance to try and demand oem stock replacements from the dealership although being as old as a car as it is the shop should do after market.

I don't generalise. But insurance companies make money and the way they make their money is by analyzing statistics, so the fact that men make more critical accidents is definitely more serious.

It's not so much that women are better drivers, but young males are more inclined to try and show off because of peer pressure which creates the accidents.

It's all based on statstics and it's not fair personally as I may be respectable married woman who own her own business yeh yeh yeh but still I'm under 30 so HIGH RISK. It's not fair, but what can you do?

Ideally you should be "calculating no of accidents committed per km" by each gender rather than comparing total number of accidents.

Moreoever what happens when two people collide. Do you consider it as accident x 2, because that would be wrong if you want to judge average driving sense.

Source(s): Men drive a lot more than women.

Yeah Dad was an actuary for insurance companies, I remember him saying that once, women have more little mishaps, indicating left but turning right, into a post box, at 3kph, while putting on make up, and talking on the phone, that kind of thing, but the guys, who would crash less often would do more damage, women are cheaper to insure.

See this idiot, kind of funny though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRbdKu3iwdA

Youtube thumbnail

Let's see... today, I was driving to work. To my work, there are three places where there are constant traffic accidents: the onramp to a freeway with single-lane entrance, a light with three turns and one straight lane, and a two lane light that splits into three to allow a turn lane only.

Now, at the onramp, a MAN in a pontiac zoomed up the right lane to shoot into the middle lane (which is the lane that leads to the freeway), instead of waiting FIVE CARS for his chance to enter.

At the three turns light, an elderly guy in a big black pick up truck decided to go straight from the middle turn lane, snipping the light off the car turning from the right turn lane. Then the truck driver revved his engine and shot into the straight only lane to cut off three drivers.

Then while waiting for the red light to turn in the middle lane which would split into the turn lane, I noticed a cadillac with a forty year old male driver behind me inching across the painted lines. I went ahead and set my wheels to do a sharp left turn to get to the turn lane. Before the light even turned red, the asshole wound up rear ending me by the corners of our bumps, trying to get to the turn lane before me.

Women don't crash from incompetence or lack of skill. Women crash because they don't expect the male drivers to be as stupid and inconsiderate as they are. Trust me, you don't know how many times I've had to swerve lanes to avoid rear ending some moron who decided that he needed to be where I was... fast. Or that he needed to get in front of me to get over to the next lane rather than slowing down a little bit and scooting in behind me.

Believe me, I have more skill as a driver than any man I've met. I just have the unfortunate experience of being the ONLY skilled driver where I live.

I pretty much think all drivers suck, male or female. My experiences keep proving me right.

The one thing I find fascinating about all this is that when stats show women to be better than men at something, the stats are written in stone and cannot be wrong in any case at all(i.e. all women do more housework than all men, or this one about women being better drivers). But any time there's something that makes women look bad, the stats are either just stats which don't mean a whole lot in the long run or they're completely screwed up to begin with. Some people (not everybody is guilty of this) aren't very consistent about stats.

I think that in general, women are getting better at driving. The older generation of women didn't drive as often as the younger, because it may've been a 1 car household, or they stayed at home. The younger generation of women drives just as much as men do, so they've got the skill and practice to be good drivers. Those statistics are going to change in coming years.

So women will gain the skill statistics say they lack.. Men will always feel the need to impress their friends by driving fast around a sharp turn after a few beers. So are women better drivers? Yes.

• "And everything that you've provided DOES show that men file more claims, therefore, more accidents (Mike T).

But don't do his work for him! How else will he learn"?

Maybe women file less claims but actually do get into more accidents. Filing more claims does not necessarily equate to getting into more accidents.

""Questions" of common knowledge like this are a symptom of a somewhat rare disease called Little Man Syndrome. I suggest you get it checked out".

And phrases like this are Bulverism or ad homs.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bulverism

'"Maybe women file less claims but DO get into more accidents." Yeah, maybe. But there's no PROOF to support such a supposition, so you can "maybe" all you want..it doesn't really mean ANYTHING".

Well that gets at the heart of the matter doesn't it.......proof. But the very lack of proof for a claim is not evidence for another claim (argumentum ad ignoratiam). The point here is that insurance companies aren't gods and their "data" could very well be flawed because of what I have already stated. Oh but that's right, because they follow the man=bad woman=good meme they MUST be true. Sorry I forgot about that. Insurance companies only know the claims that come into them, they don't know about all the accidents that do happen but aren't reported (similar to the way the police only know about those rapes which are reported to them). For some reason this phrase came to mind "Just because YOU say it, doesn't make it true, either" when I heard "so you can "maybe" all you want..it doesn't really mean ANYTHING". So you can proclaim any data you like to be true but it doesn't mean ANYTHING simply because you say it does.............at least not when there is one glaring flaw that you happen not to like.

Yes Professor Dingbat, your experiences are indicative of a trend. So I guess my experiences with poor female drivers is indicative of a trend as well.

Women are actually about half as likely to have an accident as men, not more likely, and if you don't think an 18 year old boy doing 60 on a country road at night is an incompetent driver then, I pray you never meet one coming the other way :-)