Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How should the Roman Catholic Church make up for the decline in young man taking up the priesthood?

Fewer and fewer candidates for priesthood present themselves these days and many British parishes share priests already or are dependent on visiting priests to say mass. How do you think the Church the R.C. community might best maintain its identity and continue to offer traditional means of participation, access to sacraments and spiritual guidance in a period of declining recruitment?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

While many see this as a crisis in the church I do not, for too long we have become complacent about the sacraments especially the Mass and Confession.

Statistics show that there is a sharp decline in Mass attendance in most countries and many seem to care less about practising their faith.

Now what a shock it would be if the last Priest in any particular diocese died and was not replaced! maybe people would begin to wake up and start thinking of the implications this would have.

1. No Mass

2. No means to confess our sins.

The Lord promised that His church will prevail and I trust in Him, and while we may well see a further reduction in Priestly numbers I do believe that somehow Christ will save the day.

It may have been forgotten already but in the aftermath of 9/11 formerly lapsed Catholics flocked to Mass and Confession in huge numbers as they realised their own mortality was not something to take for granted anymore, perhaps it will be as a result of a world wide disaster that the church will once more flourish.

Taking God for granted is a very dangerous thing to do,and we have been given a wake up call for many years now, and as scripture tells us``Wake up `oh` sleeper`

As the old adage goes,you never miss what you`ve got `til it`s gone

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Athanasi has a good idea. Already here in America, the Catholic church is ordaining former Methodist Priests who are already married.

While growing up the Byzantine Catholic church, I had an opportunity to get to know one of the last, if not the last, married man ever ordained a Catholic Priest in the United States. He and his wife were a very loving couple, and there son also became a Priest (he later left the preisthood). The rules of the church state that married Priests could not become bishops until ten years after their wife had passed away. I never understood that part.

• Ironically we maybe and possibly getting some new Converts from the Church of England read the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7491829.stm there are many reasons for the decline some of it is to do with today's society and the world some of it is to do with the fact there are SO many religions and 38000 denominations of Christianity now!

As far as I am aware the orthodox allows married priests but the Bishops upwards are not allowed to marry, which isn't such a bad idea. Other then that I understand the reason behind the Church's thinking as we have priests on call 24/7 and following apostles tradition, but in direct answer to your question I think maybe they could allow a two tier system if that was possible!.

• 1 decade ago

I live in a small diocese in the U.S. where we have many young men studying for the priesthood.

What they are attracted to is authentic, orthodox Catholic Christianity. In a diocese very near ours, the bishop was lazy about teaching orthodox Catholicism and even suggested a married priesthood. Their numbers have declined so much, they've closed many parishes and some people only have access to Mass once a month...if they drive a long distance. Meanwhile, we are doing fine and our seminary is filled to capacity. Our priests are authentic, loving, well-educated, challenging, merciful, honorable, devoted and much appreciated. No wonder young men are attracted to the priesthood here. And we take care of our seminarians and shower them with love, prayers, emotional support, excellent educators, a beautiful seminary and everything else they need. We even pay their way to seminary if they can't afford it.

Orthodoxy is the answer!

• 5 years ago

Jesus did no longer deliver any women human beings apostles is reason that the Apostolic Roman Catholic Church. Apostolic potential Apostles, Catholic potential conventional, and Roman Church potential the state faith of Rome. because of the fact Jesus did no longer deliver women human beings, women every person isn't priests. Anglican Church (Church of england) states that when you consider that Jesus did no longer forbid sending woman as apostles, woman could be priest. the comparable argument is locate to justify the two positions. listed right here are the info. Ordination is a sacrament administered by making use of bishops. in undemanding terms bishops can ordain priest and bishops. the 1st Anglican bishops have been ordained by making use of Roman Catholic bishops, so any woman ordained a clergyman or bishop by making use of an Anglican bishop is likewise a Roman Catholic priest or bishop. that's the Vatican that would not settle for his or her own woman priests and bishops.

• G M L
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Do what MANY magesterium following parishes are doing here in the States, pray for an increase in vocations in the priesthood and religious life during the intentions, have hours of Eucharistic Adoration in offering for an increase in vocations to the priesthood and religious life, encourage our youth (especially those who you believe would be good candidates) to pursue vocations for the priesthood and religious life. In my diocese alone, there are more seminarians each year (all from the more "orthodox" Roman Catholic parishes, none from the more "liberal" Roman Catholic parishes). I just moved, but in my former parish we had two men who entered the seminary, one woman who is a novitiate, and one woman who is a consecrated virgin. For a parish of about 1200 families, that is a very good start.

• Daver
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Perhaps things are bad in Britain but, in America, there is a surge of young men entering the seminary. Also, the Church is growing by leaps and bounds in South America and Africa. If need be, priests in places where they are plentiful, can be sent to places where there is a "shortage".

Truth be told, there is no such thing as a "

priest shortage". Yes, while there might be a "shortage" of priests in one area of the globe, they are plentiful in others.

What you have to do is stop thinking in terms of the Church here or there, and see the Church as the One global entity that it is - and then you will understand.

• 1 decade ago

I think soon the crisis will ease up. In my diocese, there are 3 other people in our deanary besides me who have just turned their application into the diocese so we can become seminarians. We just actually ordained a new priest, plus, there are already about 6 or 7 current seminarians. From what I understand, across the board, vocations are going up steadily. But to all Catholics out there, keep praying!!

• 1 decade ago

The Holy Spirit will continue to guide the Church through this challenge as He (or She) has done for almost 2,000 years.

We have doubled the number of Catholics per priests in the U.S. in the last 40 years.

Here are the statistics for U.S. Catholics and priests:

1965: 45.6 M Catholics / 58,632 priests = 778 Catholics/priest

1975: 48.7 M Catholics / 58,909 priests = 827 Catholics/priest

1985: 52.3 M Catholics / 57,317 priests = 912 Catholics/priest

1995: 57.4 M Catholics / 49,054 priests = 1,170 Catholics/priest

2005: 64.8 M Catholics / 42,839 priests = 1,513 Catholics/priest

And worldwide:

1975: 709.6 M Catholics / 404,783 priests = 1,557 Catholics/priest

1985: 852.0 M Catholics / 403,480 priests = 2,112 Catholics/priest

1995: 989.4 M Catholics / 404,750 priests = 2,444 Catholics/priest

2005: 1,115.0 M Catholics / 406,411 priests = 2,744 Catholics/priest

The U.S. ratio of Catholics per priest is where the world was in 1975. And the worldwide population of priests is now growing although not yet as fast as the worldwide population of Catholics.

http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/

With love in Christ.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They could return to the original and ancient practice of allowing men to marry before being ordained priests as the Apostolic Eastern Orthodox and Apostolic Oriental Orthodox Churches still do. Rome even recognises their priesthood is valid!

There are very many Roman Catholic married men who are faithful and could serve if God chooses them.

Peace.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.