Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesVolkswagen · 1 decade ago

Question about my new VW Golf?

I bought a new vw golf about 6 months ago, maybe I am being fussy but I am used to the horn on a car being very sensitive. The horn on my golf will not sound if it is tapped lightly; I have to push it down quite hard. I told the dealer and he said it was because the horn on the steering wheel was also an air bag. Is this normal or should I ask another dealer to fix it? ....or could I fix it myself??

Favorite Answer

I know that on my Jetta the steering wheel pad is quite hard and it takes more effort to get the horn to sound than my other cars. I find that the corners of the steering wheel work best rather that hitting it around the middle.

You shouldnt need to use your horn unless its in an emergency, to avoid an accident etc, so im relutant to answer this question, the horn wasnt really invented to let people know your parked outside!

Ok, though the horn should be in good working order and be easily operated with one hand, if you feel its still too hard, then theres not much you can do about it without spending money on it, maybe get a garage to strip the sterring wheel and put it back together, this may free any parts which have jammed. Alternatively (at a push) buy anther steering wheel and have it relplace completely, be warned mind you £50 for a new horm button is something i would certainly never recommend!

Failing that, cant you just hit it a few times to see if you can loosen it?

to make the horn more sensitive what you need to do is take off the centre of the steering wheel and bend the contacts out a bit and usually clean them up with emery cloth too.

if you dont know what to do then ask someone who does.

good luck

Source(s): master technician

its a MKIV (mark 4) to be sensible the headlights look like a large circle and a small circle were practice and then tangents were formed from the perimeters of the circles mark 3s stopped mid ninety 8 mark 4s stopped 03 mark 5s will give up or have stopped this 12 months mark 6s are next years automobile (they offer the effect of being a similar because the mark 5 yet for some minor artwork performed to the front and some artwork performed to the back lighting fixtures fixtures that look negative!

Dont go anywhere near fixing a vehicle under guarantee.

you should get another dealer to fix it but if you do it your self the airbags may not work

why are you using your horn so much, for it to be a problem?

Don,t be such a girl and press it like a man!

normal, sorry theres nothing you can do except get used to it.