How can I incorporate pumpkin? into a healthy diet?

I want to incorporate pumkpin into my diet in the healthy way. What can I do with pumkin, besides making pie and bread!

Recipies or quick healthy ideas would be great!

Update:

Okay -- let me clarify a little... I DON"T wanna make bread, pie, muffins, etc...what I want to know is what do I do with the actual pumkin meat, not the seeds.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

I do a pumpkin soup with crumbled blue cheese and garnished with pumpkin seeds.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,...

• HMFan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Any recipe that uses squash would be valid (pumpkin soup is really good) and I know that some people eat spaghetti squash like spaghetti, complete with sauce and parmesan cheese. Try doing a websearch for "pumpkin recipes." You could probably incorporate canned pumkin into puddings (that's what pumpkin pie actually is) and milkshakes (or a healthy soymilk equivalent).

• 1 decade ago

Pie and bread are not healthy. Make pumpkin seeds, some sort of mashed pumpkin dish or pumpkin chips.

• 1 decade ago

I find, as a baker, to use pumpkins, bananas, or low fat yogurt help to moisten the cake or pastry in general. It's definitely the easiest and HEALTHIEST alternatives to adding more butter or oil.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Make a homemade vegetable soup with meat stock and add both pumpkin and potatoes .

• Mrs. M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

weight watchers has a great recipe for pumpkin muffins, you might check their website.

• 1 decade ago

Pumpkin & Date Scones

makes 18

½ cup sugar

2 Tbsp. butter

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

¼ tsp. salt

1 large egg

1½ cups chopped dates

1 cup canned pumpkin

2 cups S/R flour

1. Preheat oven to 425ºF and spray baking pan w/ nonstick cooking spray.

2. In medium bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. Beat with mixer, then add egg, beating well. Add dates and pumpkin, mixing in at low speed.

3. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until mixed. Batter will be sticky. Press evenly into a scone pan, or pat into a circle and cut triangles, place on bakign pan.

4. Bake at 12-15 minutes.

--Tea Time, Nov/Dec 2006

--------------------------

Libby's Pumpkin Smoothie

Yield: 6 servings

1 3/4 cups (15-z can) LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin, chilled

1½ cups (12 fluid-oze can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, chilled

1½ cups orange juice

½ cup (1 small) sliced banana

1/3 cup packed light brown sugar

Ice cubes (optional)

Ground cinnamon (optional)

PLACE pumpkin, evaporated milk, orange juice, banana and sugar in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Sprinkle each glass with cinnamon, if desired.

--Dallas Morning News

---------------------------

Pumpkin Soup

Cut up, de-seed, and peel one 4-5 lb. Fairytale Pumpkin. Place in 2 gallons water and cook until soft (1-2 hours).

Combine 1 Tbsp. each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, corriander, cumin. Add to soup.

Combine 1/2 cup vegetable base with 1/2 cup hot water and add to the soup.

Whip, blend, and mesh until smooth. Presto! Pumpkin soup!

---------------------------

Spicy Pumpkin Dip

1½ cups canned pumpkin puree

1½ cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed

3 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)

1 clove garlic

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp cumin

2 Tbsp. olive oil

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, process pumpkin and chickpeas until fairly smooth. Add remaining ingredients to food processor and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.. Serve with pita chips.

Makes 3 cups

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.