Do guys run away from strong, independent girls?

Couple of my friends told me that I am too strong and independent which is why guys shy away from me. I never saw myself that way. I wouldn't let guys play their games on me. I don't let anyone disrespect me or my friends. If I like someone I will tell them directly. I tried to hold my feelings for this one friend, I did it for 3 or 4 months and I have never felt so miserable in my life. So I told him and he freaked out. Now he is MIA. My friends can always count on me and I am a person of my word. I don't complain, ***** or create drama. It seems like guys just do not like me more than a friend. I play tennis competitively at school and guys refuse to play tennis with me or refuse to play any sports with me period. If I am interested I ask for a date. All of my dates say they admired and respected me and that is where it ends. It never goes any further than that. Why I can't find a guy who would appreciate me and love me for me? Guys just like to keep me as a friend. What do you think

I think I am friendly and approchable since most of my guy friends before we became friends approached me first.

Favorite Answer

You sound like you may be very mature for your age. I was the same way. You'll find that after you graduate high school that older guys will be the ones more interested in you because guys your age take WAY longer to mature.

I wouldn't change anything, just don't harden your heart to the point where you won't let anyone in- which does mean that you may get hurt, but BELIEVE me, guys are a dime a dozen and you'll find the right one eventually.

Actually, if I could do it all over again, instead of getting married straight out of college, I would've lived on my own for a couple of years and travelled by myself because once you start a serious relationship, you aren't as free to do whatever, whenever. But I digress...

Just be patient and the right one will come along soon enough. In the meantime, ENJOY your youth and your freedom, and don't be in a hurry!

It depends...how old are you exactly?

Because younger guys sometimes shy away from relationships in which the girl seems stronger than they are. You sound like a very independant and mature person and if guys dont like the way you are now theyre cracked in the head...cause I'm exactly like you but I'm 18 and the guys that usually go for me are pretty much older. They like strong and confident and honest women. Because honestly they're the ones worthwhile.

You shouldnt change who you are to make someone like you and you dont seem like the type of girl who will.

I honestly have no doubt at all that you will find a guy that willl appreciate you and love you for the way you are now...just wait a bit...its just a question of time and maturity on the guys part.

I respect you soo much. Cheers and good luck! xox

Source(s): experience

Guys like a challenge. They want to hunt and win. Try not to be too forward, but if that's just who you are you just haven't found the right guy yet.

I have a similar style to you. I didn't find more then just sexual partners until I was 20. It's when guys get a little older that they prioritize what they want in a girl. They also settle down a little bit. It may just take time for you. I know it's frustrating. You can try acting different if you think it will help, but that might lead to you becoming someone you don't really want to be.

Good Luck.

Um... in my opinion, I think guys want to care for and protect girls. What I mean by that is if you're too strong or independent, they don't have too much interest in you because you don't seemed needing a guy. Lol, it's probably just me, so please don't take that too seriously. I think guys like weak and not too smart (smarter than them) girls. So they can always hold them in their shoulders to comfort when something happened. ;)

It's the same for me.

My mom told me guys dont like smart independent girls.

Or that they make them shy.

Its hard to hide in a shell and you definitely should not.

I know this guy likes me and I like him, and it breaks my heart to see him shy away. I guess thats just the way it is in this world. Most guys only tell their true feelings to "easy" girls. You need to get him to open up and trust you before you pop a question. It's the same for me, hun. We'll find a way. And a guy. :D Eventually.

Some, I would say most guys like weak girls that they can push over. They don't like to meet their match. They wanna wear the pants and all that bullshit. But with you, they've met their match and they're backing down! You need a guy that has always been doing his own thing so he can respect you and your time.

Well try to keep your independence but dont use it so strongly and whenever you want to play a sport with a guy dont play it competivley because they do not like being beat at. Try to hold your feelings about guys to yourself just drop little hints and stand up for your friends but only when absolutley neccassary. Be very suttle and things should go well.

Hm, you sound like me.. except I'm also shy, but independent. You sound approachable and nice though.. don't know why some guys don't like independent girls.

• katie

you too? I have the same problem I am a strong, smart, independent woman and men seem to shy away from me they are afraid to approach me like if I am a dog that might bite-I think men feel the need to feel smarter than a woman and when they find a woman who is smarter than then they are afraid-there are intimidated

Only the guys with low opinions of themselves and who are fearful and easily threatened run away from strong independent girls like you.

Wait. You'll meet the right guy who will LOVE your independence.