Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Have you ever had to get rid of your dog? We need your opinion if we should.?

Here is my wife's and I situation, we have had a dog for close to 3 years, he's pretty big, about 90lbs. , we can't brush him or vaccuum enough(we bought a $1,000 kirby!) to keep the hair down, he always gets on the furniture when we are not home, wich is a problem becuase he stinks, he does get a bath about once a month, we have a 19 month old kid so we have baby gates at every door/transition in our house. Even after being "reprimanded' we still notice that the dog "must be" hopping the baby gate to get back to the wash room and eat crap from the cat boxes, and cat's food. We can't let him go unsupervised in the backyard becuase he likes to hop the fences, so we have to put him on a cable leash when he is outside(we feel is unfair to him).

BUT his redeeming qualities are, he gets along very well with our son and the cats. He is very walkable(doesn't pull leash, know how to heel). AND we feel VERY safe at night. He is NOT food fixed.(aside from cat doody).

We will have another kid here in about 6 weeks, it just seem's that the dog is making thing's too complicated.

It is literally like having yet another person living with us.

Lately it feels as if we have to "deal with him" all the time. We just kind of feel bad abot giving him up,especially to a pound.

What is your advice??????

That is part of it, WE chose to take the dog and we feel it is our responsibility, but man sometimes it is just un-nerving.

we would never kennel our dog, we have one for his size , but that is not the right thing for us, or a dog his size.

he would have to go to another home, i know taking him to a shelter is basically a death sentence for him :(

fishmom.. the kirby was 3 years ago, we can't afford much right now.

he is mixed , great dane and boxer bull

nashresc...

i think you kind of hit on how we have been feeling, sometimes we feel like Jake (our dog) is not getting the best, he should be on "property" with some acres, not a suburban house.

• BethS

Please don't send this guy to the pound. If you find that you HAVE to give him up, check with friends to see if someone would be willing to take him.

If you have the time, I'd suggest taking him to some dog training lessons. Some discipline in his life could help. And he's only 3, so he might calm down as he gets a little bit older. I think your best bet is to call a local pet store, veterinarian or shelter to see if they have any suggestions before you give him away. I really think training could be the key, though.

• mcc

Take 10 min every day and really brush your dog - get a zoom groom gummie brush and hair will come out.

bath him more often - OR you can get spray on rinsless shampoo so bath 1 time a month and use the spray on and towel dry stuff the other weeks.

taller gates OR get a big ex-pen or large wire crate and crate him when you are not home as a means of training.

You could invest in scat mats and put where you don't want him to go.

If you think taking care of a dog is work - wait til the kids want to drive :)

Invest some time in the dog - even a little every day will help to channel some energy.

I hope that you don't need to place him - big dogs are hard to place and in shelters don't always have the best outcome.

I placed an adult once and a month later she was subjected to a drive by poisoning - I felt horrid for - heck I still feel horrid and it was 30 years ago.

If you can afford a $1,000 vacuum cleaner, you can afford to hire a trainer. All the things that you're talking about are normal behaviors for a dog. He's been doing all these things for three years, and you haven't taken him to training. I'm hoping that you'll send your kid to school instead of just counting on "reprimanding" him to teach him how to act, right?

So, call a trainer and do what this dog needs. Put a cat door in the wash room-- they're cheap at Home Depot, and it'll fix that problem.

What's unfair to the dog is not bothering to formally train him, and to get rid of him because he isn't fully trained yet. Yes, dogs shed and he's been shedding for 3 years. Yes, they get into stuff, and he's been doing that for 3 years, too. Yes, dogs smell like dogs..... So, give him another bath. Get a dog walker if you're' overwhelmed now, and if you check around, you can get a trainer who also does dog walking, so it's a win-win situation.

All of us who have had little kids and dogs have been overwhelmed at times, so welcome to the club. You can do this. There's nothing wrong with your dog except that he's a dog. A few tweaks around your house, like the cat door in the wash room, will help. A dog walker who can do a little training will help, too. He's making you feel safe. He's good with your son, and he sounds like a great dog.

So, get some help to get you over this hump. If you ever want to get another dog, you'll have to go through all this all over again, and there's no guarantee the other dog will be better than this one. Baths and dog walkers are nothing if you can afford expensive vacuums.

In terms of fixing the fence issue, consider putting an invisible fence in as a back-up to your barrier fence. Also, get him out and get him more exercised. It's great weather now, so go to the dog park, take him swimming, go roller blading, get moving with him.

When you committed to getting this dog, did you think that you'd keep him for 15 years-- or 3? Well, he doesn't sound that hard, and I've had 3 little kids plus dogs. We made it, but we made the effort. You can, too.

You can find a trainer through the Association of Pet Dog Trainers:

http://www.APDT.com

Don't put this off any longer. Trainers have actually had people call about their dog's behavior issues when they were IN labor, but I don't recommend it.....

Good luck.

Source(s): am a trainer and member of the APDT

my dog is really big, the amount of hair that comes of him is ridiculous its like fighting a loosing battle, but i wouldnt give him up for all the money in the world, the good times compensate for the hassle of his hair etc.

Big dogs usually become very attached to their family, if i gave mine away he'd probably die no exaggeration here.

You'll have to "deal" with your kids far longer, does that mean you'd give them away??

Your lucky, my dog pulls constantly, only my brother can take him for walks.

Why not make the fences higher?

And train him not to eat the cats poo, mine done it once, got screamed at and never done it again.

Mine also stinks as he is a GSD and can only be bathed twice a year due to the oils in their skin, but so what it just means extra air freshner.

A dog is supposed to be for life, you dont just give a dog away cause "oh its too much hassle etc etc" it would be understandable if he was highly vicious, but he's not.

Anyway, what would happen to him if you gave him away? He could pine and refuse to eat therefore starve, become seriously traumatised or end up at the hands of a scumbag. Would you really want that for your dog?

EDIT:

Adive: higher fences, basic dog training, more walks, preferably long family walks (meaning you'll get to do stuff together as a family and your dog benifts), cover the cat boxes, is probably lacking nutrients of some sort and dont let him out the back on his own).

Doing all of the above should make it a lot easier :)

• I didn't read anything about the exercise or walks he gets in your post.

He also sounds bored & needs a job.No mention of the breed either...Some are hunters,herders etc.

Since it has reached the point where you are "dealing with him"-perhaps with small children you might consider finding him the right home & not just a good one.

If he is breed specific, go online to breed specific rescues for help with placement.Contact any/all no kill shelters in your area as well.

You are correct that a cable is unfair to him.He sounds like he has a nice disposition despite the long list of qualities you don't want in a dog.He also deserves better than the pound.

Due to the many foreclosures & financial woes many suffer-shelters and rescues such as myself are overflowing.the dumping grounds are full & every facility that contracts with city/county is killing @ an alarming rate.

With a newborn on the way, likely best to hold off on pets until you have kids old enough not to accidently get knocked down or even bit.

good luck placing the boy & please do a home check before releasing him

Dogs that eat doody are lacking a certain mineral. Please check with your vet. If you are feeling the dog is a burden the dog feels this also. Maybe this is not a good time in your life to have a animal that needs so much attention. I have had dogs almost all my life I realize the care,love and expense that goes with them. The best thing to do is to give the dog to a shelter that does not put them to sleep. Also you may want to make sure the dog is taken care of by donating some money to that shelter so they can continue their work. I found people are looking for animals that are older so they do not have to go through the puppy stages. Your dog sounds like it would do fine with a older couple with no children who are home and can give the dog a lot of attention.

What kind of dog are we talking about here? I'm willing to bet $1000 that he is NOT getting enough excercise. The excessive shedding and smell is indicative of poor nutrition, his food isn't working for him. The dog can be crated when you are not home to keep him off the furniture. Eating cat doody is a easy problem to fix - get a covered cat box. He's fence hoping because he is BORED - and shouldnb't be unsupervised outside regardless.

You took on the responsibility for this dog for his entire LIFE when you got him. I know your kids are young - but that's a GREAT lesson to be teaching them - that life is disposable.

Considering your dog's size and age - dropping him off at a shelter is death sentence. I've worked in a shelter, large older dogs are HARD to place. Especially considering that your dog's problems are SOOOO easy to "fix" it's sickening really.

My advice - Keep the dog and change your lifestyle.

Get a crate.

Excercise for 2 hours a day

Change his food

Get a covered cat box and keep their food out of reach.

Take a basic obedience course with your dog

get some smart toys like kongs & buster cubes

This dog is so loyal to you and your family, He's offering you unconditional love - and you want to give up on him????

ETA: Crating isn't as bad as you think it is, you dog spends most of the time that you are away sleeping anyways. Most dogs learn to love their crates, it's like having their own rooms. I leave the doors to my crates open all day and when my dogs want to take a nap they trot right in.

MY ADVISE would be place an add to approved home his qualities are sought after aside from the hopping gates and eating cat poo but someone with some time would appreciate him and train him not to do this that is option one---the option i hope yopu choose is--get an electric fence installed you can do it yourself there about 300 for a good one--if you have trained this dog to heal walk great and socialized him this well TRAINING HIM TO stay out of the babys room will not consist of a gate it will be consistance when your in there say OUT make him stay out if he does give a treat you have 6 weeks he has givin you three years 6 weeks is what you owe him constant training and buy a crate so when your gone he goes in the crate..if this does not work then you place the add remember that dog as good as he is will be a blessing for thoes children growing up he will bond greatly he seems to be a great dog otherwise its sad that sometimes with lifes issues we dwell on a few mistakes that agravate us when there is beauty sitting in front of us...

Source(s): sorry also for the smell 1000 would have been a year of grooming he may have a skin issue find a local groomer if money is an issue tell them your storie you would be surprised what a groomer can do buy also a perfume to put on him that will help why is a kennel or crate not right for his breed?? you say you have one basicly you are answering your own questions here so you have made a decision and if you brought a grate dane mix to a shelter it probably would be adopted but search for the right home

I think all the suggestions are great- crating, exercise, etc. I must say that I am a crate convert- once believing that is was cruel but now that I am involved in rescue and fostering- it is imperative to crate train the dogs. Most of my fosters were adults and a few had NEVER been in a crate- with positive introduction, all quickly accepted the crate.

But if you can't keep him, get in touch w. a local rescue group who may be able to list them on their website and hook you up w. an approved applicants who are interested in adopting him. Sometimes these groups have an open foster home and you can surrender him straight to them. Realizing that there are many dogs in need and usually owner surrenders take a back seat to dogs in urgent situations.

Good luck w. your dog and your growing family. I would not want to give up one of my dogs but also you have to give him the best life- if you can't provide that, please find him a home that can.

I have little doubt that there ARE plenty of people, who are bored or sick of their dog, and use having a baby as a feeble excuse to get rid of it, thereby "excusing themselves of guilt". Not acceptable!! Ever! But people dumping their dogs in shelters for pathetic reasons, or laziness is nothing new. I could never imagine dumping any animal I own in a shelter. HOWEVER... We can’t always see into the future, can we? I think many people seemed to have missed one important point, that you wisely mentioned in your second sentence: "Obviously if a dog is aggressive nobody would want it near their child" Correct. I think that very sentence, implys there is a grey area in your question. Its not just a straight forward case of a yes or no answer. I doubt that any new parent who brought home their baby and found that this was a major problem, would choose to keep the dog, despite the risk to the child. I mean really, would you? This is an ENTIRELY different situation, then the one I mentioned in my opening paragraph. If it came down to the safety of my baby, or my dog... I can’t imagine I would have chosen my dog over my child. A horrible decision! And fortunately one I never had to make. I would think that there ARE people who have had to make this awful decision, and I would imagine it was not made quickly or easily, in many circumstances. We all know the terrible damage that pets can inflict on a child. It happens every day. To all those that said they would never re-home a pet because of a child, I ask you your opinion on this scenario? You dog shows UNCHARACTERISTIC and dangerous behaviour when you bring home your new baby. You try everything you can think of (training, time, attention, more exercise etc). It doesn’t help. You are stressed and at your wits end. One day there is a near miss, when someone accidentally leaves a door open and the dog comes inside... Your child is still a baby, the dog still had 9-10 plus years life ahead of him. Would you rehome that dog, that you loved and owned before you ever even considered starting a family...??? Or make the conscience decision to risk your child’s health and possibly life over the next 10 years, because you don’t want to rehome the dog??? I would be surprised, if anyone can say, that keeping the dog in that scenario would be an option for them. Yet so many jumped in both feet saying they would NEVER rehome their dog when they had a baby. My answer (IF I were still young enough to still have kids)…? I would desperately hope not to have to rehome any pet of mine. I could not even IMAGINE rehoming one. I love them all, more than I can possibly explain to anyone who does not know me. They are my life. Would I choose my baby’s safety, over my pet?? In a heartbeat. My heart goes out to those who agonised over that terrible decision. Note: Everyone should have another careful read of “one trick ponys” answer. This time thinking a little more deeply into this thought provoking question.