Have you ever had to get rid of your dog? We need your opinion if we should.?

Here is my wife's and I situation, we have had a dog for close to 3 years, he's pretty big, about 90lbs. , we can't brush him or vaccuum enough(we bought a $1,000 kirby!) to keep the hair down, he always gets on the furniture when we are not home, wich is a problem becuase he stinks, he does get a bath... show more Here is my wife's and I situation, we have had a dog for close to 3 years, he's pretty big, about 90lbs. , we can't brush him or vaccuum enough(we bought a $1,000 kirby!) to keep the hair down, he always gets on the furniture when we are not home, wich is a problem becuase he stinks, he does get a bath about once a month, we have a 19 month old kid so we have baby gates at every door/transition in our house. Even after being "reprimanded' we still notice that the dog "must be" hopping the baby gate to get back to the wash room and eat crap from the cat boxes, and cat's food. We can't let him go unsupervised in the backyard becuase he likes to hop the fences, so we have to put him on a cable leash when he is outside(we feel is unfair to him).
BUT his redeeming qualities are, he gets along very well with our son and the cats. He is very walkable(doesn't pull leash, know how to heel). AND we feel VERY safe at night. He is NOT food fixed.(aside from cat doody).
Update: We will have another kid here in about 6 weeks, it just seem's that the dog is making thing's too complicated. It is literally like having yet another person living with us. Lately it feels as if we have to "deal with him" all the time. We just kind of feel bad abot giving him up,especially to a... show more We will have another kid here in about 6 weeks, it just seem's that the dog is making thing's too complicated.
It is literally like having yet another person living with us.
Lately it feels as if we have to "deal with him" all the time. We just kind of feel bad abot giving him up,especially to a pound.
What is your advice??????
Update 2: That is part of it, WE chose to take the dog and we feel it is our responsibility, but man sometimes it is just un-nerving.
Update 3: we would never kennel our dog, we have one for his size , but that is not the right thing for us, or a dog his size.
Update 4: he would have to go to another home, i know taking him to a shelter is basically a death sentence for him :(
Update 5: fishmom.. the kirby was 3 years ago, we can't afford much right now.
Update 6: he is mixed , great dane and boxer bull
Update 7: nashresc...
i think you kind of hit on how we have been feeling, sometimes we feel like Jake (our dog) is not getting the best, he should be on "property" with some acres, not a suburban house.
21 answers 21