Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Are dogs allowed in Islam?

There's lots of Turkish people in my area and lately I've seen many a Turkish teenage boy join in with the new fad for scary dogs in inner city areas. I know most of these guys are Muslim (I grew up with a lot of Turkish friends, heck I even know some of the guys with the dogs lol, and plus, who doesn't know that Turkey has lots of Muslims?) but I also know Islam does not allow it's followers to own a dog. Or is it? And if not how come? Please fill me in. Thanks =)

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Dogs are allowed in Islam. But we treat dogs as dogs they are not to be household pets, sleeping indoors and dressing them up in clothes etc treating them like an accessory.

Dogs like all of Gods animals are to be treated with respect and cared for.

You must have a purpose to owning the dog, a security dog etc. And that dogs medical, health and well being must be treated seriously and without causing any harm to the dog.

They have to be fed, watered, exercised and have the correct medical treatment.

We dont let dogs live indoors as this is where we pray and the hairs of a dog and the saliva of a dog is considered unclean therefor if we have hairs etc on our clothing we cannot pray, same goes for our flooring and carpeting.

Dogs in Muslim houses are not allowed, Dogs are kept in Kennels but that is not exclusive to Muslim i know plenty of people who have there dogs in kennels and are not Muslim.

Hope that answers your question.

Peace to you...

• 1 decade ago

Doga are allowed for Muslims only for: 1- Hunting; 2- Guarding; 3- tending.

We may never forget that Some Muslims once had a dog and they were mentioned in the Holy Quran:

"Some) will say: They were three, their dog the fourth, and (some) say: Five, their dog the sixth, guessing at random; and (some) say: Seven, and their dog the eighth. Say (O Muhammad): My Lord is Best Aware of their number. None knoweth them save a few. So contend not concerning them except with an outward contending, and ask not any of them to pronounce concerning them. " The Cave - Verse 22.

• Aisha
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Islam does allow dogs and muslims are encouraged to be kind to all animals. However, it is recommended that they not be kept inside the house as we need praying areas clean and if a dog has been walking around and drooling, then this voids the ablution we do before our prayers. It is permissable to touch and rub dogs but it has been scientifically proven thats dog's saliva contains millions of bad bacteria, hence we are discouraged from touching anywhere near their mouths. And we always have to wash our hands thoroughly after handling any animal

• Bink
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

dogs allowed islam

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Are dogs allowed in Islam?

There's lots of Turkish people in my area and lately I've seen many a Turkish teenage boy join in with the new fad for scary dogs in inner city areas. I know most of these guys are Muslim (I grew up with a lot of Turkish friends, heck I even know some of the guys with the dogs lol, and...

Source(s): dogs allowed islam: https://tr.im/Xlnm7
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dogs are allowed in Islam, I know a lot of muslims who own dogs. But they are not allowed inside the house, because they are najis (unclean) and our prayers will not be accepted.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes and no. No they can't be kept as pets because that is a custom of the Kaafur and Muslims are not allowed to imitate the Kaafur in dress, manners, custom or speech. Otherwise the Muslim who imitates the Kaafur will become a Kaafur thierself. There is no reason to keep a dog as a pet. It's a waste of time. Dog saliva is dirty so you can't let it lick you or get it's wet fur on your clothes. Dogs can't be in the house because the Angels won't enter houses where dogs are. You can only have a dog if your blind, if your deaf, for hunting, for herding animals, for guarding the home, or guarding the farm or protection.

• 1 decade ago

Dogs are only allowed as guard dogs,they are not allowed as pets,because they are seem unclean,thats why if a dog licks you become unclean and have to wash your clothes,also its unclean especially if theres dog in backgarden running around it's own muck,wee..etc..

in Islam we have to respect all animals because they are god's creation aswell,unless they pose a threat..

• 1 decade ago

Bismillahir-RaHmanir-RaHeem.

Vol 1, Book 4. Ablutions (Wudu'). Hadith 173.

Narrated By Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If a DOG drinks from the utensil of anyone of you it is essential to wash it seven times."

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

"A dog can be owned for purposes such as the following:

1. A trained dog for hunting. Remember in Islam we are only allowed to hunt for food; there is no such thing as hunting for fun, for we are not allowed to kill or torture animals or drive them out of their habitats for the fun of it.

2. A trained dog as a guide. This would be the case if a person is blind and he/she has no choice but to keep a dog for essential services. In this case, it is permissible for him/her to keep a dog inside the house once it has been trained for service, but it is still recommended that the dog have its own sleeping arrangement.

3. A dog trained for police duties.

4. A guard dog to guard houses or property.

5. A dog used by farmers to shepherd cattle and sheep.

We are, however, not allowed to keep a dog as a pet, since it is not a very clean animal. How often have you come across the nasty sight of dogs taken for a walk licking their own excrement? Isn't it disgusting to see their owners kissing the mouth of such animals after such incidents as if nothing happened? Would you kiss the mouth of your own baby if he were to do the same? Think how many parasites and microbes may be hiding in their mouths.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has spared us from being contaminated by such filth when he ordered us to stay clear of the saliva of dogs. If we ever come into contact with a dog's saliva we must wash the spot seven times, the first of which should be with sand or dirt. It is also possible to use a bacterial soap instead of sand or dirt.

In conclusion: Don't contemplate taking a dog home as a pet. If, however, you do need to keep a dog for any of the reasons given above, then you may do so. But take every precaution not to have contact with its saliva, and also arrange for a separate living space."

Wassalam and Allah Almighty knows best.

Source(s): islamicity.com got it from Imam
  • Bess
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Training your dog will be a huge part of your interaction with him for the first few months. Learn here https://tinyurl.im/FUQ4s

This includes housetraining, leash training, obedience training, socialization, and problem solving. In addition to providing your dog with needed skills, this time will also be a great opportunity for you to bond with him. Take the time to really get to know your pet while training him and a loving relationship will easily develop.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.