New Boiler but which type would go with a shower pump that is only 1 yr old so do not want to get rid off!?

I currently have an conventional heating system with a Baxi Bemuda back boiler, hot water cylinder, cold water tank in the loft.

I've had good things about having a combi BUT this does not work with a powerful shower pump, is this correct?? I've only had my bathroom done a year ago & had a shower pump fitted and do not want to get rid off.

So which type of boiler/central heating would suit an 1930's house to bring it to modern day standards.

Any advice would be appricated with approx costs involved.

Thanks.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

If you are in an area with good mains water pressure and the shower pump is separate from the mixer,then the pump can be removed and the shower will work directly of a combi.If the pump is built into the shower unit then it probably wont cope with mains pressure and a system boiler would be your best bet.

The cost can vary depending on how much of the system req's upgrading.If you decide to go for a combi,then it might work out cheaper if the hot water and cold water storage tanks need upgrading.Get a few quotes for both types of systems.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The others are right when they say a combi will provide a good shower pressure (providing the incoming main supply is at a good pressure) but your question says you don't want to get rid of the system you have. Therefore you could consider a 'system' boiler or a 'regular' (or open vent) boiler.

With a system boiler you keep your storage cistern and hot water cylinder but do away with the heating header tank. The heating is then pressurised from the mains in the same way as a combi.

With a regular open vent boiler you keep both cisterns in the roof.

Obviously you will have to find a new location to fit the boiler and even with the open vent boiler there will still be a certain amount of re-piping involved. A new boiler will be far more fuel efficient.

Go to the Vaillant website for top class boilers and Worcester Bosch is also worth a look. Cost is dependent on where you are and who fits it for you but the best boiler you can afford will benefit you in the future. Ask the plumber who fitted your bathroom if he does heating work. Or get a recommendation from a friend

• r m
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

if you get a combi boiler you cannot use a shower pump, the strength of the shower will depend upon the flow and pressure of the mains water and how good a boiler is at heating it up for a sustained period.

you can get a system boiler or a conventional boiler which will allow you to keep the hot water tank etc.

almost all boilers are now condensing which is just a method to improve efficiency there are then the combi, conventional and system types of condensing.

do not let someone sell you a combi because thats what they want to fit there are some one size fits all scumbags out there

lots of questions about combi vs conventional boilers have been asked here have a look

• 1 decade ago

If that was me I'd just get a stored hot water system with a condensing gas boiler that way you could still use your normal shower pump ETC , i fitted a Glow worm 30 hxi a few years ago it will heat a full tank of hot water in approx 15 mins , great little boiler

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Your combi boiler will be "mains" fed and to work properly you need BOTH good mains PRESSURE & good mains FLOW only one of these is not good enough, if you have both you will get a very good shower, also go for the highest BTU out put and make you can afford eg. 120k out put & a Worchester or Vaillant.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.