US President 2 term limit?

Hi all,

I was wondering if a president who has completed his 2 terms in office (and was not allowed to be president again) can become vice president the following term...

Like if John McCain wins the election, would Bush be able to become the vice president or would they not let him because he has spent his 2 terms in office.

Cheers

Okay so I'm getting a lot of yes and no answers. Both with good and reasonable explainations. But does anyone know for a fact that they are right?

Okay, got my answer. Thank you to all who responded. There's a paragraph which can be read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_president about 1/4 of the way down the page stating that NO, in fact a president that has served 2 terms may not become vice president. As has been decreed in the 12th amendment.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

No, in order to be Vice President you must meet all the requirements to be President and having already met your term limits would preclude you from taking the office.

We got lucky with FDR... I think they did the right thing in amending the Constitution. I think term limits help to follow Jefferson's vision of a government that would change with the times and needs of the nation, and it also prevents stagnation. Sure, someone might be competent to serve more than 2 terms, but it is a stressful job and wears on them. I think its best for everyone if the limits remain.

Officially, Bush cannot run for another term. As for being VP, I've heard some say it could be done. With someone like Reagan were he not ill at the end of his second term, or Bill Clinton the support might have been there. For George Bush, he enjoys little support outside of the hardliners in the GOP, so he'd have no chance.

No, in order to become vice president you meet all of the requirements to be president. and since president bush served 2 terms he can not serve a third if something were to happen to mccain.

There is no law on the book that I am aware of that says you cannot be president and then be vice president. You are allowed 8 years for the president and that is it. No restrictions on the VP slot.

Yes, you can and for those above who said no that is not true. Even if he couldn't serve as president, he could be VP. If something happened to John McCain the would just skip bush and go to next one in the line of succession.

No.

The Vice Presidential nominee must be eligible to be President, in the event that something happens to the President and he/she has to assume the office.

Someone who has already been President for eight years is not eligible to be President.

Legally, yes. Then if the sitting prez takes a dive, w could take over....fortunately, Mac wont do that ( Boat Anchor ) and w gave up anyway. Plus, the American people would overwhelmingly vote Dem just to stop that from happening in the first place.

• Sami V

Good idea but not now because many may not want Bush to be around for another four years!

McCain/Bush.

Thats exactly what we need.

"The Nightmare Team"

A no holds barred bloodfest.

Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and China in one swoop.And it should only cost 5 billion dollars. The toys in China will pay for most of it.

LETS GO!!!!