How can I get my gym to accept that their contract is invalid?

I joined a Energie Fitness Centre Gym in Oct & explained that my work may require me to change locations, & would it be a problem to cancel my membership later if I move? I was verbally informed that if I gave a months notice this would be acceptable. My employer duly requested that I change office, so I wrote... show more I joined a Energie Fitness Centre Gym in Oct & explained that my work may require me to change locations, & would it be a problem to cancel my membership later if I move? I was verbally informed that if I gave a months notice this would be acceptable.

My employer duly requested that I change office, so I wrote to Energie, offering my one months notice. They replied saying that I had a 12 month contract, & I would have to make all remaining payments. As I signed a direct debit form it seems that I have entered a year long contract?!!!

I explained this in another letter, & stated that I would be moving house, gave my new address, and some information from the OFT saying that gyms making verbal promises are responsible for them. I received no reply.

I have since moved & just received a answerphone message from a debt collection agency, which is obviously chasing up owed monies.

Please help! What can I do to resolve this? I don't want to have to pay when I feel I have been completely lied to!