Root Canal on Front Tooth then need a Veneer?

2 years ago I fell and hit one of my front teeth, it got pushed back slights, but its has now started to get darker. My dentist has told me I need to get root canal treatment done on my front tooth, and once thats finished I need to get a veneer. I got root canal done on another tooth a few years ago and I... show more 2 years ago I fell and hit one of my front teeth, it got pushed back slights, but its has now started to get darker.

My dentist has told me I need to get root canal treatment done on my front tooth, and once thats finished I need to get a veneer. I got root canal done on another tooth a few years ago and I never went back to the dentist again for a few years.

Does anyone know is it possible to just get the veneer and forget about the root canal? Would the tooth look the same?

I really want to know what are the benefits of getting the root canal or is it really necessary?