Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

what ID do you need to open a bank account and how do you get proof of address?

My friend has had a bit of a messed up life, but is trying to sort it out now. He had a bank account years ago but didn't manage it very well, so they closed it. How can he now open a bank account? He also has no passport or ID and he cannot prove his address - he rents, pays cash and his bills are included. He might be about to move in with me though - can I then put his name on one of the bills, or does he require any ID for that? He has never signed on nor paid tax, he works freelance, and his employer pays cash in hand and doesn't want to change that. I know this is a lot of questions, but any help with any of them would be a great start.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

best thing to do is for you to put one of your utility bills in his name for a day or something an order a statement or letter and he will also need a birth certificate you can get that from your local offices it is about £9.00 i believe. if you cant get one of thm you can go to the bank and they do have specail procudres if he is living with you and he wants to open a account go to the bank wheer you bank and some banks to their discrestion will open a account. thanks hope that tis is helpful.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah, this is exactly the problem I had to go through as a new immigrant to the UK ... the banks require proof of address, but you're new so you don't have proof of address, etc ...

In your friend's case, he needs a passport as ID. You simply cannot get a bank account without one. Why can he not apply for one? I'm aware that they can be expensive, but they are necessary for so many things. Employers *should* require them as proof of eligibility to work in the UK - I understand that he's in a dodgy situation right now employment-wise, but what if he even wanted to change jobs? Ohhhh ... I get it ... this is his whole problem isn't it; he's not here legally.

Anyway, then for proof of address, you just need a utility bill or something like that. Yes, you can put his name on yours without any problems, and in fact he wouldn't even need to be living there. Just call up the company and ask them to change the name ... people who live in house shares do this all the time, so it's not a problem.

• 1 decade ago

If he doesn't have a fixed address he can prove most banks wont touch him. He shouldn't require ID to change one of your utility bills to his name but a) do you really want to do that considering his banking history, don't forget any credit he takes will be on your address and b) the utility company, the bank or both may check the electoral register to check he does live there.

Sounds to me like what your asking is how to set up a dodgy bank account... the answer, with difficulty.

• 1 decade ago

Usually you need one form of Photo ID be a Passport,Drivers License,Student ID, anything with name and a picture really. Then either an old Bank Statement is sufficient or a couple of things with his present address.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

All he needs is a COpy of his Birth Certificate, Which can be obtained throught he City he was born, From there He can get a License, Even witha few Items Of mail with an address on there to Verify the Location, from there he can open a bank account. I wish Youe friend luck!

• emland
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Banks only want to do business with stable people. Your friend is not very stable - pays no taxes and has no permanent address, it appears. He could take a copy of his lease along with a current letter on company letterhead from the place he rents from as proof of address. He can also order a birth certificate from his state of birth and take that along with proof of address to the DMV and acquire an ID.

• 1 decade ago

I would hire and accountant to work this out. He needs to use a bill like cell phone or anything to just prove his address and get a photo ID. You could put his name up on the bill, but problems might arise. I would suggest him getting his tax records accurate and to file for 2008 and just estimate or talk to his employer because this can really pile up and get you in a lot of trouble!

• kit
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Get his landlord to give him something stating his address. Think he'll need a photo id though but ring the bank just to make sure and explain the situation. They might be able to work something out for him

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he needs a valid state driver's liscense or a legal state i.d. you don't need a passport. all he has to do about proving his address is write a letter to himself or you can write it to him. all he needs is a stamped letter by the post office to prove the address. you don't have to put your name on one of his bills just get a postmark from the post office. also, make copies of all his bills and keep them. you see if his employer doesn't show proof of his income then your friend will never get social security. his employer is a jerk and your friend should get another job. he needs to keep his name on all his own bills, or he will never grow up and take on responsibility. i use money orders and and banks have cashiers checks. of course, i am a disabled veteran and don't need postmarks.

Source(s): i've sent money orders to pay bills. i've kept the money order receipts.
  • 1 decade ago

to open a bank account you need an id, and and adress.

does you friend has ssn? that could help?

and his employer could write a letter, saying your friend is his employee and he is who he is for "time" he is been working with him.

and also, he couls ask whoever is the landlord to also give him a letter saying indded your friend lives in there. and such.

that could help a lot.

but without an id is gonna be really hard!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.