What ID do you need to open a bank account and how do you get proof of address?

My friend has had a bit of a messed up life, but is trying to sort it out now. He had a bank account years ago but didn't manage it very well, so they closed it. How can he now open a bank account? He also has no passport or ID and he cannot prove his address - he rents, pays cash and his bills are included. He... show more My friend has had a bit of a messed up life, but is trying to sort it out now. He had a bank account years ago but didn't manage it very well, so they closed it. How can he now open a bank account? He also has no passport or ID and he cannot prove his address - he rents, pays cash and his bills are included. He might be about to move in with me though - can I then put his name on one of the bills, or does he require any ID for that? He has never signed on nor paid tax, he works freelance, and his employer pays cash in hand and doesn't want to change that. I know this is a lot of questions, but any help with any of them would be a great start.