Can someone from Scotland tell me what a stovey is please??

I think it's a potato but I'm not sure. I've looked in all kinds of dictionaries with no luck. I'm not even sure if the spelling is right!! Thanks

basically it dates back to days when people scraped off food from the stove (cooker) and cooked it all up together. Today it is made with fresh ingredients and tastes GOOD!!

It is basically potatoes, onions and meat of some sort. my mum uses lamb which is a bit posh. My grandma uses beef.

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/stovies.htm

• Piglet

In my family, "stovies" is a sort of casserole or stew usually made from leftovers with the addition of onions and/or potatoes if necessary. It appeared like a Lancashire hotpot if made in the oven (meat, veg and onion below, browned sliced potatoes on top) or like a Lob scouse if cooked on top of the stove.

It was kept warm at the side of the fire for late arrivals home after work and was topped up with a little water to stop it drying out. If more people arrived than expected, it was made into a broth by adding a lot more water!

But then we are only one quarter Scottish, so what do we know!? LOL! Seriously, I believe there are as many different recipes as there are clans! Each family developed its own version.

Stovies is the name of a dish using leftover beef from a roast or something, and potatoes and onions all cooked up and mashed together. Like corned beef hash

stovies is a one pot meal made with onions, carrots, potatoes and the "infamous square sausage" and beef stock .Which are all roughly chopped and put in a pot until cooked into a thick stew not entirely sure where the name derives from but they are tasty, honestly!

Stovies is a Scottish meal...................can have different ingrdients but usually potatoes (tatties) and mince.

Source(s): I'm Scottish

i had a scottish neighbor who used to make a kind of corned beef hash and she called it stovey

LATER EDIT--why thumbs down?-the dish was a hash of corned beef,spuds and onion -she was a scot and called it stovey-whats the prob ? this so puts me off answering

it has different ingrdients but usually potatoes

well.. i know about STOVIES & that is a meat, onion & potato dish.