Stolen Car - Do you lose No Claims Bonus?

Hi

Back in 2005 my car was stolen. I reported it to the police and informed the insurance company from which i cancelled my Insurance and got a refund.

Does this count as losing my no claims bonus? i didnt claim i just cancelled!

I have never crashed in 5 years it annoys me that some yobs have done it and put my insurance up! im under 24 as well that doesnt help.

I cancelled and got 243 pounds back but i thought that was just the refund on my insurance not a claim back.

It's a "no-claim" bonus, not a no-blame bonus. If you told your insurer that your car was stolen then they should have compensated you for your loss. In-other-words, you would have made a claim & lost your no-claim bonus. Some policies do guarantee that you will not loose the bonus for 1 claim. You need to check, did your insurer pay you out for your stolen car? Doesn't matter if you cancelled after you lost the car as long as you were insured at the time of the loss. Take any paperwork you have and visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You could have money due to you.

I was in a similar situation when my car was stolen. however,

I was not allowed to cancel the 12month contract and although had no car still had to pay out the contract.

You have not made a claim so will not have lost your bonus.

Make sure the insurance company have written to you explaining the rebate you have, then you will not haev any problems.

• car253

Different States have different rules. Most places would not consider what you did a claim. But you needs to check with the insurance commissioner or insurance agent in your area.

• Scouse

You have not claimed so you do not lose your no claims bonus. You may have to pay a slightly higher premium because you will be seen as a greater risk

• ZCT

Well a no claims bonus is a bonus for not making a claim. If you didn't make a claim you should be okay.

if you get protected no claims bonus the you dont lose them when you claim

Yes it does.

probably not