Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are the chances of being run over by a bus?

People always say you may as well make the most of life as you might get run over by a bus tomorrow...but statistically how likely is that? I mean, are bus drivers as more prone to knocking people over than say truck drivers or regular car drivers?

To highlight how dependent they might be on a key employee, businesses are often asked what they would do if that employee were run over and killed by a bus (e.g. the Bus Test) - and the answer would point out various problems for disaster recovery and business continuity planning issues.

So what are the odds of someone being killed by a bus? For the UK, we can look at the official statistics (Department for Transport).

For 2004, there were 121 accidents involving buses and causing a death. That doesn't quite mean that 121 people were killed by being hit by a bus as it would include any accident involving a bus where any number of people died (there's a table showing that 3 bus drivers and 17 bus passengers were killed).

This is expressed as a rate per 100 million vehicle kilometres of 2.3. So, on average, any one bus is involved in a fatal accident every 27 million miles of travel.

So, if we assume that there were at most 121 cases of someone being killed by being hit by a bus and if we assume that everyone in the UK (60 million people) has an equal chance of this happening then the odds are something like 2 in a million (per year).

Of course, anyone wandering around in China with their iPod on may have a higher chance.

I wouldn't think being run over by a bus would be as likely as being run over by an automobile and I have never had that done yet, so in all likely hood, my chances are really very, very slim of being run over by a bus. That is especially true in the town that I live in as it is a small town with very few buses. :o)

Source(s): iem2

I think it's just one of those things people say to mean you just never know what's going to happen. I've never heard of anyone being run over by a bus. I once had a dream that I was hit by a bus though and my body hurt for days, seriously.

No, you are more likely to get knocked over by a car, but having said that a good friends daughter got killed by a bus running her over, so it does happen.

for those making silly comments, this woman was on the pavement at the time, and i know of several cases of women and children killed whilst standing at the bus stop and the bus has careered out of control

I run in front of a bus at least once a day for the past 20 years and I have not been hit yet

I told these very people a million times not to exaggerate!

Your chances increase greatly if you stand in the bus zone.

LOL, very slim as far as im concerned, seeing as i drive, unless they are prone to driving over cars that sneak into the bus lane!!

In my opinion...

1/4 chances if you walk at the side of the road...

2-3/4 chances if you are reading a book or listening to music while walking...

4/4 chances if you just cross over on purpose (suicide) ^_^

bus are more prone to knock a kid as they are large and kids just cross infront of them without thinking

• Tallie

Well, it happened in "Mean Girls"... But I think more regular cars would run people over than buses.