Jen

HELP Why wont web pages display even though it says I'm connected to the Internet???

I'm trying to get on the internet with my laptop at a hotel with free wireless internet. I can connect to the internet and it says that i'm connected, but when I open Internet Explorer and go to any web pages, it cannot display the page. I don't have any firewalls up that could be blocking it, so whats wrong?

maybe your wireless adapter can't read the signal, gotta re-incrypt it or something like that, I had this problem before, it said I was connected, but nothing loaded, don't ask me how to fix it tho, i had to get someone else to do it

There might be several things wrong. Make sure that your wirless IP settings are set for DHCP, and not a static IP address. Or, you may need to upgrade your web browser (i.e., Internet Explorer), do Windows updates, and make sure you have all the latest plug-ins (i.e., Java, Flash player, Shockwave, etc.). When was the last time you did any of these?

You could also try installing a different browser (if you have IE, try FireFox), to make sure that you actually do have an internet connection. It'll help determine whether or not there's something wrong with your current browser.

Are you sure that you didn't add yourself to someone's Adhoc network?

Also, a lot of hotels have an authentication page that pops up when you first connect and you'll have to agree to a terms of use. This usually pops up from the hotel's proxy server, but if there's a problem with this, you won't be able to agree to terms of use and therefore will be unable to connect.

Well sometimes the hotels can have firewalls and the hotels Internet might be having difficulties. Ask the clerk at the front desk.

Try repairing your IP adress and/or restarting your computer it has happened to me before. or try disconnecting from the wireless connection and then reconnecting

Hope This Helps

Source(s): It has happened to me multiple times before and that usually fixes it

If you can establish a connection and get an ip address, it may be a dns issue.

RUN - cmd

ipconfig/all

look to see if you have an ip address, gateway address and dns addresses.

try ipconfig/renew

go to your network connection (start, programs accesories, communications, network connections) and make sure its enabled, refresh it, ask someone at the hotel if its free..hope this helps...

either its reallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy slow or the internet got problems that wont show up

try resetting the internet through, it works 4 me

Go to the front desk and tell them that there's something wrong with their wifi. (I've had the same problem.)