What is the ROOT of a drive?

I need to copy some files 'to ROOT of the flash memory card' what is this and how do I do it!?

Thanks

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's directly the letter of the drive.

For instance C: is the root folder.

And the root folder of D:/MyDocs/Image/... is D:

• Lena
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axG9C

You can't/shouldn't manually change the root drive letter because there are a million changes you would have to make in the registry to adjust for the change and you would risk having a dead system on your hands because some little setting can no longer find h:\. What you should do is a fresh re-install of Windows to the normal drive letter c:\. It should leave any other drives intact, so you won't lose any data or working files. A fresh install is always the best solution because it leaves you with a clean system and no leftover crap. It will always run fastest after a fresh installation. It may be a pain, but almost always solves whatever the problem was. Next make an image of the newly installed system and store it somewhere safe on the PC and perhaps even burn it to disk. That way, whenever something happens, you won't have to go thru a complete installation again, just use the imaging software to recover your system back to day 1. That's the way corporations do it. And it only takes less than 20 minutes to re-image a PC. Try software like Acronis True Image or Norton/Symantec Ghost. It's awesome when you realize what it can do for you.

• Wes M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The root of any drive is what comes up when you open it. If you go to My Computer and open your C: drive, what opens is the root of the C: drive (C:\ ). You can also do this in the command prompt by typing "cd c:\" (without the quotes). So if your flash memory card is listed as the E: drive, then the root would be E:\.

• 1 decade ago

The root is simply the first location on the drive (ie without going into any sub directories).

Insert the Flash Drive

if it autoruns choose the explore files option.

otherwise:

Right click on Start and choose Explore

Locate the Flash Drive

It will come up like

Flashdrive (E:)

Click on this and you are now in the root.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The root of the drive is the very start of the drive.

Where as files such as your My Documents & Desktop etc... are located in a directory such as

C:\Documents & Settings\Username etc etc...

the ROOT is "C:" on most computers but could be different letters depending on the drive your working on.

If you need more information let me know!

• 1 decade ago

For a memory stick, it will be the location you see by default when you plug the stick in. It wants you to copy the files to your memory stick without putting them inside of any of the folders on it.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the ROOT of a drive?

I need to copy some files 'to ROOT of the flash memory card' what is this and how do I do it!?

Thanks

Source(s): root drive: https://biturl.im/9TsYr
  • 1 decade ago

If suppose your flash drive is g:\ then that is your root. eg. G:\some folder\ will be a sub folder. G:\some folder\some another folder\ will be a child directory to g:\some folder and g:\some folder will be a parent directory. Folder and directory mean the same thing.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Ultimate Attraction Guide http://emuy.info/GetEveryGirlEasily/?4agk
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the root is a thing that holds it in place.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.