I am having some problems with the side effects to Methadone please help me take care of this problem!!??

I go to the Methadone clinic and I can't take no kind of sleeping pills to my knowledge, for two good reasons; 1: the sleeping pills may make me fell my urine test; 2: They may interact with the Methadone. Does anyone know what I should do? I also have a few more questions about some side effects I am having to the Methadone; The methadone makes me sweat alot, and I have tried a vitamin called Vitadone made just for Methadone patients, its helps with with most of the side effects, but not the sweating, and I also shake real bad, I used to be on xanex for my nerves, but I had to quit taking it, so I could do the treatment! I have problems with getting my bowls to move, what can I do? Someone please help me.

• Meg

Unfortunately, these are all very common side effects of methadone. Some of them may improve the longer you are on the medication, however, so if you can just hang in there for a few more weeks, you may start to feel a lot better. But talk to the clinic staff about the problems you're having with sleep and anxiety, and see if they have any suggestions on what you can do to feel better.

For the sweating, you might want to try an antiperspirant called "Certain Dri," which you can buy in most drug stores in the U.S. (In Canada, look for "Drysol.") This is a prescription-strength antiperspirant that is super, duper strong and after just a few treatments, it may help with sweating in your armpits, on your feet, etc. Just apply a little bit the first couple of days you try it, as it can irritate some people's skin (you might get a bit of a prickly rash). Follow the directions that come with the bottle on how often and how much to apply.

Good luck to you and hang in there, okay? It WILL get better, and you can do it!!

Source(s): I'm a medical librarian.

Anyone saying that social services will take the child away counldn't be more wrong. They are usually the people who are paying for the pregnant mothers methadone treatment. The clinic is full of pregnant woman whos obstetricians have set them up with methadone treatment so that the mother does not use illegal street drugs while pregnant. However, it may or may not be the right time to have a child while on methadone. Usually the mother is already pregnant before she starts the methadone treatment. I have heard of women whop were on methadone for pretty much their entire lives who after a few years did decide to go ahead and start a family. It is really up to the woman and her doctor and involcvs so many many other decisions. It is however possible to have a baby while on methadone treatment.