promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How long before oxalic acid poisoning symptoms appear in a small dog?

I cleaned the kitchen floor Friday afternoon with Zud, a cleaner that contains oxalic acid. My ten pound shitz-hu puppy accidentally got into the kitchen and ran around a bunch (little white paw prints all over the house). I'm pretty sure she didn't ingest it, but just in case how long would it take before symptoms would appear? It's been at least 24 hours and she doesn't show any significant symptoms. She may be pooping a little more frequently (but same total daily volume and consistency-sorry if too much detail) and she may be drinking a little more (or I might be paying closer attention), but she has the same appetite, energy level, and urinary habits. I just need to know how long I need to watch her or if she's already in the clear? Thanks in advance.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

    I'm a vet nurse and if your dog ingested the oxalic acid you would know by now and you would have a very sick dog on your hands. If it's been over 24 hours all will be fine. On the remote chance that she suddenly takes ill in the next 12 to 24 hours just take her straight to the vet but in all honesty if she were going to present symptoms of poisoning it would occur very quickly after exposure.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • mettig
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Oxalic Acid Poisoning Symptoms

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

    Sorry about your unemployment but even so, sorry even more for your dog. Try to work out a payment plan for your dog with your vet. We are dog owners, I'm a trainer - why would we know what in hell is wrong with your dog. Sorry to be harsh but seriously, even vets will not diagnose your dog over the internet why would a bunch of dog fanciers to any better? Which poison or medication should we guess that he got into, there are hundreds of them and the treatment differs from dog to dog. There is a poison control center for pets you can call, it's 35.00 - 55.00 but if you don't know what he got into how would they psychically know what he got into. He could be in liver failure, kidney failure have absorption problems. Frankly I am usually more patient but this is the wrong forum. Get your dog to the vet now and I hope he makes it.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • I would imagine as with anything toxic to a dogs system she would show symptoms relatively quickly. Maybe call your vet or poison control and ask them.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Take her to the vet now.

    This acid could kill her slowly before actually showing symtoms.If the vet is closed ring the emergency and tell them your problem!

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    She's o.k.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.