Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

My Goldfish is missing 2 Scales?

I currently have 9 Fish - 2 Comets, 1 black moore, 2 fancy tails and 4 white cloud minnows. In the last week ive had an outbreak of white spot, the offending goldfish have been seperated and both tanks are being treated at the moment. However... I looked in my tank this morning and one of my comets is missing 2 scales from his side, I was wondering if this has something to do with white spot or is it something completely different? Will they grow back?

Ordered a new tank will be here next week, its a great big thing that takes up half my living room lol. The fish get on great with eachother, my friend kept commets, commons and moores together and the moores got bullied and died but mine love eachother. My Moore is older than one of my commets and fathers it, they swim around everywhere together and play together so i seem to be lucky with them x

• Mel

it could be a sign that your fish is growing. if it more of a peeling then it's most likely because of a high ph, so i would test it if i were you, just in case. any more questions? feel free to email me =]

ps- unless you have a VERY large tank, those fish are not okay together and you are probably overstocked! especially your comets will definetally need to be moved very soon to a much bigger tank.

• John

Hi Louise, if you had an outbreak of white spot or Ich then it is no use separating the fish that had the symptoms-the whole tank community will have been exposed to the parasite so the whole tank needs treating. best thing to do is return him to the tank & dose as below. The Comet missing a couple of scales is nothing to worry about unduly if everything was fine but as you have this potential parasite problem I would guess he's rubbed them off while flashing-do you see your fish scraping themselves around on tank decor & gravel?

The missing scales will regrow fully in a round 2 months although the new growth is often transparent for some weeks so it will appear nothing is happening for a while but rest assured they will regrow!

Add 1 Tablespoon (=15 ml, or 0.5 oz) of salt per gallon of water. Add the total amount you need for your tank in two or three additions over a day or two. This is to slowly bring up the salt level. Keep them in the salt 10 days after the last spots are seen-this is very important, although the spots are gone the parasites are still free in your tank & this is where they get nuked! When you do partial water changes only add salt back to the water you replace at the same proportion as above.

After the 10 day period simply stop adding salt & it will gradually be removed by your regular partial water changes. If you have real plants you'll have to remove them to a holding bucket during the period of treatment as the salt will kill them. You can use aquarium/kosher/sea or rock salt but dissolve it in a jug of tank water before adding back to your tank. Never use regular table salt as it contains harmful chemicals.The beauty of treating Ich with salt is it doesn’t harm your filter, is completely safe [unlike many treatments you buy & pour in your tank] & costs next to nothing.

Any queries email me. best of luck with your new tank-sounds great, I'm currently ordering an 8 foot long acrylic tank for my living room!

No, you don't have to take him to the vet.

But, from my experience, scales do not grow back. In fact, I have a fish that's missing that piece of... flesh (for lack of a better word) that covers it's gills. He's fine.

In your case, 9 fish in a single community tank is a lot because of the variety you chose. I don't know the dimensions or gallon capacity your tank holds, but I'm glad to read that you've purchased a larger home for your fish.

Whatever it is, I hope you took their adult/mature size into consideration. Just as a note: the height should be at least twice the length of the adult-size of your largest fish and the width should be about 7-12 times longer than the length of the adult-size of your largest fish. This will probably be very crucial for their survival.

And just because they get along now doesn't mean it'll be nice and peaceful like that always. They can change. Just keep a close eye on them and know when it's time to separate them, if needed.

The same thing with my comet as well? He is missing 2 as well. Maybe it's common with comets?

well the white spots on your fish is a desies called common fish desies, it usually happens in tropical tank where the water is warm for bacteria to grow. what u can do is get a water solution that will help it go away.

if gets worse take it to the vet.