Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Baseball Fans... Why would you pick a Baseball game over a Basketball, Football, or Hockey game?

For me..... I wouldnt. I would Take a regular season NFL game over a Regular season Baseball game...only because every NFL game is important, and there are only 16, but there are 162 MLB games. Now if it were a IMPORTANT Baseball game and an IMPORTANT football game, well, my head would just explode, so it doesnt matter... thank god the seasons dont overlap much

For Those Not baseball fans... the Question was intended for Baseball Fans.. Thats why it started with "Baseball Fans" lol

For the Record, i like the NFL and MLB equally. but to be truthfull... more people watch the NFL in this country than MLB. Pro football in the United states DEMOLISHES EVERY other sport, in both Regular Season Games and Post season games.. The title games in NFL and MLB are not even close.. i think the number is sumthing like Quadrupled times 3 for the number of people who watch the superbowl compared to the 7th game of the WS. And The NFL Makes an ungodly amount of money more than MLB... so in all Fairness, MLB may be CALLEd America's Passtime, but the NFL actually IS america's Passtime.

but like i said. i DO NOT have a PReference for one or the other.

Professor, My Mutant friend...

The NFL earns one billion dollars more in Annual Revenue playing 16 games!! MLB makes 6 billion per year playing 162 games!! Now cookie, you know i love you.. but that theory of it being close is ********... If the NFL played 4-5 more games than they do now, they would double the revenue of MLB.. and if you include the Revenue the NFL generates from the Post season, MLB has NOT shot in that fight... it would be like Baseball bringing a pocket knife to a Fight with the NFL who is RAMBO

Haha that's exactly the point, but what sucks is as soon as it's later in the season in MLB when the games start meaning more(not saying every game doesn't matter, because I think they do.) but that's when football season starts up. But like you said, at least they don't overlap too much! For me my two main sports are baseball and college basketball, luckily when baseball ends, college basketball is starting up and that goes all the way until baseball season starts back up. :)

I pretty much agree. If, let's say, I had to choose between a Giants' regular season game, and a Yankees' regular game. There is no doubt I'd watch the Giants. But, Yankees' in the playoffs vs Giants' regular season, I'd go with Yankees. The playoffs never overlap, so, not much of a problem there. Also, I see no problem with watching both games at once, something I've done many times before. That's the beauty of split screen TV's and MLB.TV. I can watch several games on TV, and have baseball on my computer. It has all worked out pretty well for me. On Saturdays and Sundays in September and October, my house is like a sports bar or the ESPN center. In a pinch, there is always TiVo and DVR. Ah, technology...

Just an aside, the NFL generates about 7 billion dollars in annual revenue, compared to 6 billion for MLB. So, the difference is about a billion dollars, which is a lot on anyone's terms, but the relative difference is not really THAT much. Each single football game is a cash cow, but the MLB makes up for it somewhat in sheer volume or by having 10 times as many games.

In regards to what sport is America's pastime, I still think of baseball as the true "pastime" for a number of reasons (that I won't go into here). Howie Long had a great quote during his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame:

"Baseball may be America's pastime but Football is America's passion".

EDIT: Alright, a billion dollars is a significant difference. I must have been really tired and droopy last night, when I tried to say it was "not THAT much", lol. But, I think the numbers indicate total revenue which does include the playoffs.

I pick baseball because it is a game of skill and competition WITHOUT necessarily any kind of involvement with trash talking or more importantly, violence. Sure there can be instances of teams not liking one another or fans that despise the opposition, but the players can play baseball without getting into any of that. Fans can and do also respect excellence in baseball when it's even being accomplished by the other team. Plenty of times you can see fans applaud an opposing pitcher who has a no hitter or loses one near the end of a ballgame.

Back to one of my all important points and that is that on every play in baseball there's such an enormously decreased chance that a player will be injured. Football can NOT be described this way with the level of aggression that players are supposed to perform at. Basketball now incorporates flagrant fouls because it has gotten so bad and we all know that hockey does nothing to discourage fighting, let alone the acceptable hard checking and other aspects that result in toothless players.

I guess you could say that I think baseball represents more of a what I could say is a pure sporting contest.

Thomas Boswell first detailed a number (99, actually) of reasons why baseball is to be preferred. The list still exists today, and I've seen it published as "The First 99 Reasons Why Baseball Is Better Than Football", indicating that there indeed are many more as yet uncaptured.

Boswell's list: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/libvf100...

Ones of particular note: #13, 18, 20, 22, 25, 33, 37, 40, 49, 54, 56 (a special virtue), 63, 64, 68, 72, 73, 78, 81, 84, 87, 88, 91, 92, 96, and 97.

The list shows its age in spots, particularly #19, while some others are, with some regret, obsolete. sigh.

I have 5 fantasy Baseball teams, 2 are pay leagues. I have to watch all the Baseball games.

I love Football but I grew up addicted to the Cubs and Yankees. I played baseball and could have had a great career if it wasn't for Track. I was world class in Track.

If they started the Baseball regular season the day of the Superbowl, I would lose my mind. My father would shoot me for flipping back and forth.

I wouldn't. There's 162 games in the MLB, and every game doesn't really count. I'd take an NFL game over a baseball game any day because every NFL game counts.

Also, football is a lot more exciting and more entertaining for me than baseball.

• Eric S

I'm with you. I would pick an NFL game any day over an MLB game. Although I enjoy baseball thoroughly and it is America's national past time, I find football to be far more exciting. There's much more going on the field and you'll never know what's going to happen next. It's invigorating.

Dear Kim:

Here my order of sports that I like 1.Baseball

2.Pro Football

3.College Football

4.English Soccer

I have been with Yankees at age of 7 or 8 then Jets around 11.College Football in my twenties.Soccer became my after the Yankees playoff was over in my late twenties.All depend on how one was rise in their house whole for some us football come first and let not forget college football too my teams is Norte Dame & Rugters.

Good question,

Kim

I would pick a baseball game over football because the team has to work together. In football or basketball if you have one player that is a superstar you can win. That is not the case with baseball.

Another reason that I would choose baseball over football is because of the reviews that they do in football. You will never be able to get close enough to the football field to see the close plays. Honestly the best place to watch football is in front of the TV with as many cameras as they have.

Too many football games are too cold. Baseball is during the nicest part of the year.

I guess it also comes down to I just like it better with hockey coming in second.

If it was a regular season game with the White Sox, and an important game with another, then I would see the other. But both regular, White Sox hands down.

Right now, I am watching the Chicago Wolves over the White Sox since they are in the playoffs. Thye just forced Game 7 against Rockford and will be playing Tuesday at home. I might go!!!