How can I change the resolution of a wide-screen monitor in a game that doesn't permit wide-screen resolution

eg: If I want to play a random computer game, all is stretched to the edges of the screen, without having the possibility of changing to a wide-screen resolution. Making all the fun a pain.. the monitor doesn't have any control panel from which to adjust it's height and width, so that's out of the... show more eg: If I want to play a random computer game, all is stretched to the edges of the screen, without having the possibility of changing to a wide-screen resolution. Making all the fun a pain..

the monitor doesn't have any control panel from which to adjust it's height and width, so that's out of the question.

Is there any solution, or am I doomed to not re-play some old games I enjoyed in the past..?