Buying a Laptop...HELP??

Ok so I'm in my final year of school and am looking for a laptop that will hopefully last me through university. I will mainly want to use if for work and internet. I'd also like to be able to add other software as I need it eg. iTunes etc.. I have crap eyesight so I want a screen as big as possible and it to be as light as possible.

If you could answer some of these questions that'd be great and any tips are also appreciated.

1) Mac or PC? I've been reading about both but can't see which would be best from my needs.

2) If I got a Mac, would I be able to transfer files using a USB from my Mac laptop to my PC home computer?

3) I'd like to have internet connection everywhere I go, what is the best type to get? I'd like lots of download space.

Thanks in advanced. Also I'm not that smart with computers so if you could answer in simple terms that'd be good. :)

Favorite Answer

Hello, ive been a technology product consultant for over 6 years and would be delighted to help you.

It's always wise to buy something that fits you're application, this means while an overkill would be a waste of money, a compromise would compel you to spend more in the near future.

1) Mac's are generally lighter and substantially quicker than PCs will ever hope to be due to the Operation Systems involved, however, a Windows powered PC is much more versatile and you'd face lesser compatibility problems with it as you go on. Additionally a lot depends on you're budget, PCs in todays era cost half the price of a Mac without compromising Specs' parity.

2) Transferring files from a MAC to a PC can be both simple and complex based on what programs you use. While Basic Media files would play anywhere, MS office files and such could get complicated depending on how advanced a user you are (or Not)

3) You can either get an Wireless Express Card or use Wifi, as and when available at the location you're at. All major Cell Phone companies have wireless services via the express slot.

Now, lets look at some of the best deals around:

Here's a great Dell offer, a powerful Core 2 Duo processor, 160GB HDD and 2GB RAM for just $590

DELL Vostro 1500 Laptop Black

Brand New

Intel® Core 2 Duo T5270 1.4GHz 800FSB14.1" Wide-Screen XGA Display w/ TrueLife

2G Ram

160G Hard Drive

8x DVD+/-RW Drive

Dell 1390 802.11g

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic

1 Year Warranty

Heres the Link:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?...

Now lets look at a blowout Vaio offer, this will surely blow you away:

Vaio Core 2 Duo Laptop with 200GB HDD that retails at $1077 at a massive blowout for just $670!!! Dont miss this offer, it will most likely be sold out by the time you visit it.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 Ghz Processor (Perfect for all standard operations)

1GB RAM

200GBHDD (Long term investment and great flexibility)

DVDRW

Windows Vista Home Premium

1 Year Warranty from Sony

Intel X3100 Graphics Card

Now take a look at this, at Amazon its $1078:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGN-NR180E-Laptop-Proce...

Just $670 Here, grab it now before its sold out:

Since you mentioned you need a large screen, heres a 17"WXGA screen, and this One is the New Dell Inspiron 1720 which is sleek too.

Trust me when i say you wont find better value than this next one anywhere!!

Consider these specs:

1) Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7250 2.0GHz (2MB L2 Cache/800MHz FSB)

2) 17 inch WXGA+ Notebook Screen

3) 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms, 667MHz

4) 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

5) 8x DVD+/- RW Driver with dbl layer write capability

6) Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

7) Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software Edition

8) 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery w/ 90W AC Power Adapter

9) Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

10) Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam

11) Intel 3945 Wireless (802.11 a/b/g)

12) Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition + Operation System DVD

13) Microsoft Works 8.5 with MS Office Trial Software

14) Dell 1 Year Limited Warranty

C2D 2.0 Processor, 4GB RAM and 250GB HD...all this for under $1000!! Thats right, just $964.90!! Can you beat that?

Just hope it lasts is all.

Here's the Link:

If you need to go for a Macbook, here is a blowout Macbook deal, consider all the pros and cons before going for this, since you are a student i'd suggest not going for Mac right now, save you're money, the specs are the same and PC's are much cheaper.

I am letting go of the Macbook 13.3 WXGA option, since you need larger screens lets stick to 15.4 as a minimum screen size with Mac.

Now the cheapest Macbook PRO with a 15.4 WXGA costs $1575 (Best Deal around for Macbook Pros)

Here are the Specs:

1) Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.2GHz

2) 15.4 inch WXGA+ Notebook Screen

3) 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms, 667MHz

4) 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

6) NVIDIA GeForce 128MB Dedicated Graphics

7) Apple Remote

8) Lithium-Polymer Battery

9) LED-backlit

10) Integrated Webcam

11) Intelgrated Bluetooth

12) Apple1 Year Limited Warranty

Heres the Link:

Happy Shopping, due to how hot the above offers are, they might be sold out by the time you visit them, if they are, just tinkle me and i'll re-dig em for you. If you have any queries please feel free to email me at:

mikiv@cachetworks.com

• Mcgoo

Toshiba makes a wide screen laptop that has the ability to be VERY bright. ( A friend is visually impaired- legally blind- and needed the big screen - it is however very heavy and drains the battery faster than a smaller screen.)

Stick with a PC - but avoid Windows Vista. Find a PC if you can that has Windows Xp Pro on it. Even if it means a smaller screen. Vista has to many problems at the moment.

To have internet EVERYWHERE, you would have to invest in a wireless modem, such is offered by several carriers. But they are not cheap plans, and are not a fast as WIFI, no matter how much glitz they put in the ads. They do however, get your internet anywhere you can get a phone signal. (Can you hear me now?)

A WIFI adapter for your desktop PC will allow you to transfer files between it and the new laptop, without cables. A USB adapter is very cheap and rather easy to set up. The new laptop will either come with WIFI built in, or you can buy one of several types of adapters when you purchase the laptop.

All of the brands will allow you to install more software, itunes and the like.

Dell or Toshiba. You can go to Dell's website and customize your computer. Or you might find a better deal elsewhere. Just make sure you get a Pentium dual core processor or AMD dual core, and at least 1GB of ram. If you can avoid getting a glossy screen, do so. Maybe you like them, I don't. I also don't care for Windows Vista. Have fun shopping. Oh, make sure it has a wireless card.

You would be better off sticking to a PC not the Mac...the Mac is a good computer but doesn't have software that the PC has...buy the best computer that you can afford...check out a quality computer...you may find what you want here... good luck

http://www.dell.com/

Mac's are meant for people who are making music things and video's, and they;re hard to get used to.

you're probably better off with a PC.

1. it depends on what you prefer

2. yes, but not all of them might work

3. as long as the laptop has wifi and ethernet you'll be fine

Now, what is your budget?

note that laptops with a bigger screen won't be lightweight, which is more important to you, lightness and portability or screensize?

China Kongfu movie dvds are great to pick up

the brand hp is really good for what your looking for.

Source(s): own 1 myself

best not to get acer!! go with dell or Toshiba

You should get a MacBook.