What do you do when you feel like you're not spiritually progressing?

I always make an effort to study the Bible, pray and ask for forgiveness of my sins, and attend church on a weekly basis, but why does it take so long to grow into spiritual maturity?

It is just like a baby grows. It takes time and you 'grow' slowly in stages. It is a slow progress everyone goes through. It takes different amounts of time I came to God completely dumb with very little knowledge about how, what or why. It has taken me a long (20 years being around it and trying to learn) time and just in the last 2 & 1/2 years have I felt like I've grown at all. I still have a long ways to go!!! (I'd guess I'm about in my middle 20's spiritually) Acomplished a little somewhat wiser but still a ways to go!!!

• Man was not meant to evolve that way. The spirit of man has been where its always been in genes and heredity.The bible cannot get you there.

I came to this conclusion on my own:

Man came from a "common" ancestor of the monkey family, not the actual monkey.

Take the Mule:

In its common modern meaning, a mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, which is classified as a kind of F1 hybrid. The reverse, the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey, is called a hinny. The term "mule" (Latin mules) was formerly applied to the infertile offspring of any two creatures of different species

Would this even need to happen in the Bible? If God had just made mules? then there would be one mule species forever -but since nature-evolution though possible Indra species mating billions of years ago..this same cocktail of exchanging genes and heredity could make a mo den day human if the ancestors where of similar design. Hence why you see a horse, a mule and a donkey all co existing at the same time hence why man, monkey, and ape can live together. In a million more years, what is recognizable as human will not be what we consider what a human looks like today.

I do suggest reading the bible....along with other religions like Daoism, Taoism, Buddhism, then will you find the true meaning, life is about interacting with the whole world, not just one group that thinks they hold all the cards, and no one else in the "whole" world is right but them.

Source(s): Atheist that as read about all religions and still believes evolution.

I do the same things you mentioned. As to why it takes so long to grow to spiritual maturity. I do not know. How ever I am guilty of taking many decades to reach any level of spiritual maturity. I am 57 years old. And I have only reached a noticeable level of spiritual maturity in the past 10 years. Why it took me so long to get to were I now am? I can not answer. I am truly ashamed of this. But God has forgiven me and has blessed me with more spiritual insight than I ever thought possible.

The Holy Spirit moves us in different ways an at different rates based on our character and God's Purpose for us. It is possible that some of us mature much slower than others. Because wants us to experience more of life's mistakes to allow us to have a better understanding of the circumstances and conditions of others.

God bless us all

That is a genuine concern I believe we brothers and sisters face. For me, I would listen to the gospel of grace to know my first love Jesus more and more - how good He is and how much He loves me with all my imperfections, and I will fall in love with Him all over again.

Also, it is good for me not to compare myself with others, for I would feel tempted to become conceited if I think I am better than others, or feel lousy if I think I am worse than others. Let each of us run our own race, for we live unto the Lord. :) He is fair and patient with us.

Finally, it helps us not to be overly sin-conscious, because the Bible says Jesus' blood has already washed away our sins. I hope you will take this point in a good spirit, because it is a valuable lesson I am learning in church and Bible study too. For you see, sister, being forgiven by Jesus is only one part of what we receive through the cross - the other part is righteousness. We receive Jesus' righteousness as a gift, not as a reward based on what we do. (Romans 5:17) When we believe we are the righteousness of God in Christ, sooner or later we will reign in life as kings, like the Bible says - over every evil thing, including sickesses, lack, low self-esteem, depression, Satan and unclean habits. This is the spiritual maturity that Hebrews 5:12-14 speaks about concerning righteousness.

Here is something I was taught, fasting, start fasting one day a week and doing alot of praying during that day. Fast from Sun up to Sun down. It doesn't have to be a 24 hour fast and I drink water because of medical conditions. Skipping a meal and staying in a Prayful attitude all day helps you to discipline yourself towards serving the Lord better. It also shows the Lord you are serious about growing in your relationship with Him. Trust me this works, and don't tell no one when you are doing it. It will bring a blessing if your heart is in the right place, good luck and God Bless You.

Source(s): Holy Bible, read the Gospel of John, my favorite book of the Bible

Wow! You already have some terrific answers here. I will add my two cents. Even though you may not always feel like you are maturing, God is continuing to transform you. I think for me the key is to recall, that my primary "work" needs to be willingly submitted to the WORK he is doing in me. Through bible study, prayer, fellowship, servanthood etc.

I don't think I can describe the epiphany I had the other day, when I realized that in spite of myself, God has continued to create and mold me into the person He desires. That doesn't mean I slack off, but it does mean I am not the one who decides in what way I am going to grow so to speak.

I keep thinking of John the Baptist saying... He must increase and therefore I decrease and that we are transformed by the power and love of Jesus Christ. I am His and anyone who does belong to Jesus is perpetually changed according to God's infinite riches, grace and love as long as we continue to stay in fellowship with Him and the body of Christ. And the thing we can't see often until much later is the God has been working in us in His perfect timing.

Keep asking questions, keep searching scripture, keep loving the Lord and keep submitting yourself to His almighty grace.

To God be the glory and honor and praise!

While some athletes can train themselves, most athletes benefit a great deal from coaching.

We don't have to go it alone. If you feel you are not spiritually progressing via your own efforts, consider partnering with one or more others whom you respect, get inspiration from, and are as spiritual as you are or more so.

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.

I think the answer lies in the definition and purpose of spirituality. Yes, one can say spirituality is the recognition of the unity of all life, but what is the purpose of recognizing the unity of life. Is it for the one to use in order to increase his or hers status/wealth, or is it to recognize that each and everyone of us has unique potentials that can benefit all if allowed to develop. Do you see the difference? One is created with unique talents but not special or of higher status. One can look throughout history and find the devastating effects of individuals thinking they are special or of higher status. What fun the Nazis had at others expenses, just to give an example. One way to define spirituality is that spirituality makes us aware of a higher purpose that is in conflict with our cultural purpose. The problem is that spirituality is never taught as an expression of resistance and rejection to purpose but only as a passive expression. Because of this there is no progression of spirituality only blind compliance.

When I am struggling or going through the wilderness, I am growing !

Our flesh is so contrary to what is supposed to be spirit that we feel like we are stagnant or being picked on, while in fact we are maturing and growing.

• rp

i talk it over with someone. sometimes you need to take a break, go on a retreat -- get a new, fresh perspestive on things

or sometimes i focus on something i want to study on, a book of the bible, a saint, etc and spend a month just reading on that

our spiritual journey never ends... it is something we are always on. we SHOULD always be growing in our faith.