Previous victims of brainwashing..?

For those that feel they were brainwashed for many years..After coming out of it..or deprogramming yourself. Do you ever have brief moments of "oh no..what if"..Do you feel like it is something that is always haunting you so to speak?

I definitely had some moments where I doubted myself, and worried "what if they're right?". I decided to deal with it by reading and researching voraciously. In fact, I didn't let myself give up my cultish, brainwashing group until I had done enough research to make an informed decision.

After awhile, toxic guilt and shame are no match for knowledge and information. Then I got to where I just look at those being brainwashed and feel sad for them. I look at those doing the brainwashing, and I see them as lower than the worst con-artists.

Not for me. I tend to have an "it is what it is" view of things. I don't try to make excuses or rationalize my feelings or beliefs. Emotion taints truth way too much when you allow it to. For example, I want to distance myself from the JW organization so much that I'm willing to change ALL my beliefs. But that doesn't mean I'm instantly going to start believing in the trinity or believing in people having immortal souls. I still want truth, and I go by what evidence the Bible gives, because not everything is spelled out for us in in "black and white" in the scriptures. Like it or not, I still believe some of what the JWs taught me, at least until researching and studying the Bible more tells me otherwise.

One thing I do have that JWs do not is the freedom to welcome other people's ideas and interpretations of the Bible. I don't feel I had to "deprogram" myself where that is concerned. This came naturally to me. I know that many have had a difficult time trying to deprogram, and I feel for them. I guess I should be thankful. For me it was like walking out into the sunshine and a cool breeze after being stuck inside a windowless building for a long, long time. I will never look back...

2 Corinthians 3:17 (LITV) "And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

Source(s): Years of experience as a JW, the Bible

After 22years of being told that Armageddon was coming and that all those who were not baptized as a witness,witnessing more than the average hours set,giving their all to the organization would perish in the most unimaginable ways,yes it was very very hard to get this fear out of my head..after all i was a sinner and felt that i could never reach the pedestal the witnesses set.

I can still remember a question and answer talk on Armageddon taken from the reasoning from the scriptures publication...it was scary to see the fervor of about 70% of those attending throwing their hands in the air and declaring they knew who was worthy and who was not of surviving armageddon...i had tears in my eyes and left the hall that night so upset that these people were certainly looking forward to a time that 6billion people would die at the hands of God.

Thankfully today after several years of studying Gods word the bible without the litreture of WTBTS i have found the truth about Jesus Christ and God's purpose.

I do not hate the Witnesses..i just feel sorry for them as so many of them are good people who try their best and do no harm physicaly to anyone..

Peace to you my friend.

I was brainwashed into believing that Armageddon was iminent and that if I wasn't a Jehovah's Witness when it came, I would die. 1975 was the eagerly anticipated date. Well, I left that organisation when 1975 came and went and I had nothing to do with religion for about 20 years. But I kept thinking "What if they're right and Armageddon is going to happen soon?" I also had nightmares about having to attend the Kingdom Hall and go from door to door with the Watchtower and Awake magazines. In my dreams I would have to confront my parents, who disapproved of my backsliding. I had those dreams until I became a Christian 12 years ago. Then I was able to confront my parents (in the final dream of this sort) and stand up to them and say "No! I am not going to do as the organisation demands - I'm leaving." What a blessed release!

I no longer feel haunted by my upbringing because I am now a Christian and I understand the love of God - there is no fear in love because perfect love drives out fear (1 John 4:18). I serve God willingly and happily, and am no longer in bondage to an organisation that insists they, and only they are right and every other religion is false.

As an observation, I would add that it was the Holy Spirit that deprogrammed me - it is only with hindsight that I can see how the Holy Spirit brought me to a place of repentance, forgiveness and salvation. "Amazing grace! How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found; was blind but now I see."

There are times, usually after a very trying day, I'll have a "flashback" so to speak from my childhood and the things I was "taught" and those thought will seep in, "what if there really isn't a God?" But then I'm pulled back to reality and the decision I made as an adult to denounce these beliefs and trust in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

Yes...I believe that the organization I grew up in was/is partially right in a lot of their teachings. Yet, I still feel strongly, at this time, that I should not associate myself with them, because of how many things I find wrong with the organization. It's not an easy choice, having to tell your family that you don't agree with their beliefs, but, I do respect myself more this way. AS far as the "oh no, what if" , if their teachings are correct,,I don't have to worry about any further torture in hell, etc. I KNOW God understands my actions, and I feel he shows me more "LIGHT" everyday.

Source(s): Theist - raised Jehovah's Witness

initially I went through this phase that your talking about, as all people do when leaving high control groups. I highly recommend a book entitled, " combating cult mind control". It will explain this very feeling that your talking about . All former cult members go through it, including the author of the book im referring. He was a former Moonie. The only way to beat these feelings is to educate yourself, by research and reading. You will eventually uncover the truth, and find freedom.

Yeah sure. We all have been indoctrinated to some degree.

But when we go into that deeper relationship with God, all of that just kind of fades away. Oh, the memory is there to be sure. But, most find it actually makes them a stronger believer for God and makes them highly effective in their Christian walk.

It all ends up making God look good.

You have to wonder about someone who has never been through anything hard.

It's a lot like PTSD. You get flashbacks late at night, after a nightmare.

But it takes a few minutes in the morning to remember just how wishy washy all religions are.

no, i think that brainwasing doesn't work in every person the same way to others.. for example, even if i was pushed to go to church, doctrine and all that stuff, i always had my own ideas, since i was a little girl, so, it works in different ways, there are people that you can brainwash even if they are very grown ups