Are gas prices the result of mere economics, or are oil companies trying to keep people from going to church?

What's your take on that?

Update:

Obviously this question doesn't apply to those other Christians, who probably have hybrids or bicycles or something.

Update 2:

Ent: They put governors on your truck? That's rought.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Our company just announced they are turning down all the trucks in the fleet to 63 mph.

32 years ago they paid 6 million dollars a month for fuel. Last month they paid 16 million dollars a month for fuel.

But I never thought of the "keep us from going to church" idea, that's a good one. Call the Westboro Baptists, I'm sure they'll take it and run.

EDIT - Yup, we were governed at 68 and they are lowering it to 63. That's 5 miles an hour, 22 hours a day (two shifts) which equals 110 miles per day we are losing. At 50 cents a mile that's 55 dollars every day we are out because of the change.

Hey I want a hug. You anti-hug nazi! Where's my hug?? Don't make me stalk you!! =] ((Dude))

• 1 decade ago

There will be a breaking point. No matter how much money we have invested in our cars if we cannot effectively afford to use them then we will change our lives so that we do not need them on a daily basis. The oil company's will then go bankrupt and gas/oil and the like will be fully managed by the state and federal governments. Prices will then decrease, and all will be well. Oil companies seem to have power over the masses, and they technically do right now. But it is false, they test our patience by bringing the prices up and just before we say screw it and buy a bike, they drop them back down. Some people have already got rid of their cars and/or moved more closely to work and the like. Many more will follow if the tyranny continues. They will end up commiting business suicide eventually, or wise up and fix the problem that can definately be repaired but is not due to the easy of making tons of cash. Things are on the edge, we're going to see a change soon.

• 1 decade ago

I think the church thing is rather mute. However it may keep people from doing other things like going on trips and vacations very far from home, extra trips to town, movies, visiting relatives and friends. 'Tooling' around town on Friday nights. Right now Saudi Arabia sees the end of their oil producing capabilities on the horizon and are exercising their rights to force the world to pony up for the remaining oil that's left. Also, you know all those cheap things we are buying that's made in China and the rest of the world that's flooding our stores vie NAFTA ? It takes energy to manufacture them. That means more oil delivered to those countries which means more demand and less supply which means we have to pay more at the pump for the cheaper stuff from foreigner manufacturing companies. It's a vicious circle with no remedy so far. There's no conspiracy. Just greedy oil mongrels and greedy oil companies taking advantage of you and me and everyone else.

• FUNdie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, the oil companies, which are ultimately controlled by the "Powers that Be", are trying to equalize the value of the dollar with the rest of the world. It's all part of the "New World Order", making all countries run the same way and levelling the playing field.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The oil companies know that most people are praying for the price of gas to come down, and if they keep people from going to Church they can keep gas prices high.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All that is happening in the world is Revelation 17 & 18 being fulfilled.

Revelation 8:7 is the same story.

• 1 decade ago

Their tryng to keep you from going to the bank...

Write your congress man this crap has got to stop now !!!!!!!!!!

your poor bastards in the norther states are going to freeze your azz off this winter or go bankrupt.....

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Gas and Oil companies will NEVER keep me from praising God, I don't have to go to church to be a believer, I can worship from home, work, the grocery store, or a rooftop...

• The oil companies are supporting the televangelists by getting people to stay home and watch church TV.

It's obviously a conspiracy.

• 1 decade ago

If people truely yearn for church, they will find the true believers in their congregation that will take them without any request for repayment. If the church is of god, the oil prices will never prevail.

Source(s): 18 years of Christian upbringing
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.