Should a life sentence mean life inside?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7370...

irrespective of a minimum sentence inside, should life mean life instead of letting them live in our community when they have deprived someone of theirs?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it should. They will still be in their thirties when they are released and will have the rest of their lives to look forward to while Sophie is dead and her boyfriend psychologically scarred. That is just not right.

• Meghan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Actually it depeds on the sentencing. From what I can understand when the DA puts in a 25 to life sentence, it means that the CONVICTED felon can expect a sentencing of anything between 25 years and life in prison. Basically 25 to life is usually what they say before the defendant is convicted. After he or she is convicted, the jury can 'advise' the judge as to what the sentence should be. The judge then takes the jury and the DA's sentences into advisement before the judge makes a ruling to how long the convicted person/s should stay in jail. So if the DA requests 25 to life it means that, s/he wants the convicted felon to be in jail for atleast 25 years and at most life in jail. The judge can go ahead and pick some random number like 44 and it will still be ok, but the judge can also pick a lower number if s/he feels that 25 is too much. It's all up to the preception of the judge, the jury, the DA and the defense. Usually convicted felons don't normally serve out their whole term. Usually only about a 1/3 or a 1/4 of their term is served in jail and the rest is what we call parole where they have to go and check in with a shrink and the police every so often. But life in jail usually means that they serve life unless parole is granted where then the convicted felon would serve out the rest of his or her sentence outside jail. But life without parole is usually when the felon cannot appeal for parole but can appeal the decisions. This is my interpretation of the life sentence. I may be right or wrong it really depends on so many factors, good behavior and the such. The death sentence is different because you get sent to prision and then death row, this process is so slow you can rot in prision/death row forever and never actually be killed. Usually inmates on death row die from the atrocious living conditions.

• 1 decade ago

If it was premeditated murder or if they were armed then yes, life for all of their natural life. However just because i am such a nice and even handed person i would also throw in a good dose of hard labour, no telly, no drugs, nothing for at least the first five years and that would include visits from friends and family - after all their victims family and friends have been denied visitation rights! After five years without seeing anyone other than prisoners and staff it just might sink in what they have actually done in depriving someone of their life. I would also tear up the human rights act for any prisoners.

• 1 decade ago

It should at least mean a minimum sentence of 30 years not oh they will be out by the time they are 35,justice has not been done today.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

life should mean life because England is soft we do not have capital punishment i can go out there take someones life leave a family without a dad mam .husband .wife brother .sister .and live it up for 10 to 15 yrs come out and get lots of benefits good old Britain eh ?

• Maya R
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

As a believer in rehabilitation I think the old folks idea (behind bars)is not so bad, because once a person has been inside for about 15years he is effectively on his own, since family and friends have moved on too far for him to catch up. That's if they want to have anything to do with him.

But to have light sentences for rapists, such that they go back to their victims and rape them again, is somehow awfully wrong.

So I would say life is life.

• Mags B
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Hi, If someone gets life then they have obviously done something bad enough to merit it. So in answer to your question yes i think life should mean life,and the only way they get out is in a wooden box!!!

• Gotcha
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, I firmly believe that it should always mean life. The other person/people have lost their lives and their families also have a life sentence.

• 1 decade ago

Not necessarily, but when a sentence is passed it should reflect the sentence imposed, at present half of us don't know what the sentence really means in practice, the system needs to be more transparent.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That would mean turning parts of our prisons into old peoples homes with the necessary trained staff to run them

Not sure the prison service would agree to that.

In fact not sure the government would fund it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.