Jehovah's Witnesses: You encourage everyone to "examine" their religion. Should JW's examine their religion?

Have you ever read this:

Watchtower 8/1/62, pg 480:

"The way these two words have been rendered in the New World Translation has given rise to the charge that the New World Bible Translation Committee let their religious beliefs influence them. That charge is true, but they did not do so wrongly, or unduly. The meaning that is to be given to these two Greek words depends upon what the entire Bible has to say about Jehovah God and Jesus Christ."

"How so? In that there is basis for translating these words either as “Deity,” “Divinity” or “Godhead” and so attributing personality to them, or as “Divine Nature,” “divine quality,” “Godship,” and having them merely denote qualities. Thus those who believe in the trinity will attach personality to these words, whereas those who do not will render them as qualities in view of the way God and Christ are described in the Scriptures and so as to harmonize the words with the rest of God’s Word.

...continued.....This emphasizes the fact that one simply cannot properly and accurately translate the Bible unless one clearly understands its teachings."

So you develop a theology and translate the Bible to support it.

And my personal favorite,:

Reading just the Bible, one cannot learn the truth without the Watchtower publications:

Watchtower 8/15/81 pg 28-29

From time to time, there have arisen from among the ranks of Jehovah’s people those who, like the original Satan, have adopted an independent, faultfinding attitude. They do not want to serve “shoulder to shoulder” with the worldwide brotherhood. (Compare Ephesians 2:19-22.) Rather, they present a “stubborn shoulder” to Jehovah’s words. (Zech. 7:11, 12) Reviling the pattern of the “pure language” that Jehovah has so graciously taught his people over the past century, these haughty ones try to draw the “sheep” away from the one international “flock” that Jesus has gathered in the earth. (John 10:7-10, 16)

...continued....

...continued.....They try to sow doubts and to separate unsuspecting ones from the bounteous “table” of spiritual food spread at the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah’s Witnesses, where truly there is ‘nothing lacking.’ (Ps. 23:1-6) They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25! Jesus and his apostles warned against such lawless ones.—Matt. 24:11-13; Acts 20:28-30; 2 Pet. 2:1, 22.

If you can;t get the "truth" from just reading the Bible, without the aid of Watchtower literature, how did Charles Russell and the founders of Jehovah's Witnesses do it?

You better believe it!

Honestly? Bible truth compared WITH what the WBTS teaches. Truth be told, I was raised by a mother who was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I was baptized when I was 14. When I was 30, though I'd never actually left the Witnesses, I was rather ambivalent and said I could choose to do what I want now. A funny thing happened though. I studied the bible, then studied it some more. Listened more carefully at bible discourses etc. The more I did that the more convinced I was that what I had learned and was still learning was the truth. And this not just from a spiritual perspective, but one of logic as well. I have now been baptized 42 years. I might add, Jehovah's Witnesses really are the only ones that will give you answers to the most important questions. I will give you a true example. After 9/11 the obvious question was why would God allow such a horrific thing to happen. The pat answer from the clergy was "don't question" or "it's a mystery". One very honest member of the clergy, when interviewed some time later, admitted that the clergy had failed to answer that burning question. We can answer it, by means of the scriptures.

Yes, of course, absolutely.

I spent a long time searching religiously. Of course, the LAST place I would look was to JWs. But I finally ran out of other options, since I really did want to believe in the God of the Bible. When I found out what Jehovah's Witnesses really believed, I was glad...but continued to be suspicious. After all, a lifetime of conditioning by those who find something wrong with JWs is not easy to shake.

So I studied for three years. I am a voracious reader and researcher. This is a few years before the internet was widely available, but I lived near the gigantic Indianapolis library. Aside from secular sources, they also had books by anti-JWs. When I looked, I did not find any accusations I had not already heard before from the WT Society. Miracle wheat, pyramids, Russell's divorce, adjustments in doctrine.. lack of belief in the trinity, immortality of the soul, all the standard arguments...the cult books didn't impress me with their arguments.

It comes down to who are you going to believe? As far as the doctrines go, I DON'T believe that the trinity, hellfire, immortality of the soul, etc, are taught in the Bible, and learning the pagan origins of the holidays is what made me leave the more orthodox christian churches in the first place. The accusations about Brother Russell or Rutherford, well, those things happened a long time ago, those on both sides of the argument are no longer here, there's no way to know if it was true or not. The basic doctrinal beliefs are clear, if there are minor adjustments, if they are reasonable that is fine with me.

I don't understand people who don't fully investigate BEFORE, then they act all surprised and complain later...

Now, who's up for a nice, thick torture steak????

Yes, it is Biblical to do so.

The receptive people in the city of Beroea were commended because they examined the Scriptures to see if what Paul told them was the truth. Upon finding that he spoke the truth, they took a firm stand for it. We are told: “The [Beroeans] were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.”—Acts 17:10, 11.

The people of Beroea did not permit the statements of opposers to close their minds to the good news. Rather, they examined the Scriptures daily to confirm that the things they heard were truthful. They had found a valuable treasure and were not going to let opposers turn them away from it. Would this not be the reasonable course to take with regard to the same good news that Jehovah’s Witnesses proclaim today?

Source(s): w87 3/15

Yeah. Examined it years ago. And continue to. Yep.

How do you think they reached the point where they are at now. Originally they were involved in politics and observed all the holidays, but through self examination, they grew beyond those. Too bad Christendom doesn't follow their example.

JWs not only should you EXAMINE your religion...

you need to 'scrap' that whole 'apostate' thing and realize that is just a way to keep you FROM examining and doing research on this religion by keeping you in fear!

If you question ANYTHING....they are ready to DF you quick, fast and in a hurry! Who better to tell you than ex JWs who have been there and done that! People who were SMART enough to see clearly NOT evil people who didn't want to live by the high standards! JWs preach door to door to others to questionTHEIR own beliefs but are too in fear of doing it for themselves!

Yes, they should - but the truth is that they conditioned against any kind of critical thinking when it comes to their group. Information control is the name of the watchtower game. Think about it - they are even offended by quotations FROM THEIR OWN PUBLICATIONS! They also can't talk to former members, who might actually clue them in.

Russell's answer above is freakin' awesome. You rule, Chuck!!! Any jw's reading this should really ask themselves honestly why it bothers them to see words from their own publications. Seriously - think about it you guys, and get some help.

• Tyler

We are frequently encouraged to do our OWN examination of the Bible and the teachings that we preach. We examine them from the BIBLE not our own publications.

Source(s): To that Russell apostate above me I find it odd that you still know so much about Jehovah's Witnesses if you are no longer one, do you do anything other than sit on a computer all day slandering God's true worshippers. If so i pray you know what the consequences of your actions are.

They do it for sure by examining the current light of the Watchtower

They only Examine what the Watchtower provides.

As most former JW's know, once you start down that path of looking into outside information things change.

It was many years before I ever did any real examination and when I did it was only because of the way they attacked my parents who were still JW's. Needless to say I was embarrassed that I had followed such a cult.

Man will always try to dominate his fellow man and when you add in an unseen enemy we become ripe for the picking.

All anyone has to do is look at the trail of blood and tears of all the people.