Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

can you eat ice cream when pregnant?

some people say no and other says it fine. i am only 7 weeks pregnant and i will be pregnant thru summer and i will be wanting icw cream as it gets to warm weather.

Regular tub ice cream is ok. Soft serve from dispensing machines is a big no no.

Listeria

Listeria is a rare type of infection that in most people passes with little or no symptoms. In the case of a pregnant woman, the risk of miscarriage, still birth, premature birth or a very ill baby at birth is very high.

Symptoms can be so mild that they pass unnoticed or can consist of fever, tiredness, headache, aches and pains. Foods that are known to occasionally carry the Listeria infection include the following and should definitely be avoided during pregnancy: -

* Ready-to-eat seafood such as smoked fish and smoked mussels, oysters or raw seafood such as sashimi or sushi.

* Pre-prepared or stored salads, including coleslaw.

* Pre-cooked meat products which are eaten without further cooking or heating, such as paté, sliced deli meat, and cooked diced chicken (as used in sandwich shops).

* Any unpasteurised milk or foods made from unpasteurised milk.

* Soft serve ice-creams.

* Soft cheeses, such as brie, camembert, ricotta (these are safe if cooked and served hot).

Listeria is destroyed by conventional cooking, so freshly cooked foods are safe to eat. However, listeria is one of the few bacteria that will grow in refrigerated foods. This is why chilled ready-to-eat foods and refrigerated foods should be avoided.

Do not eat food that has been prepared and then stored in a refrigerator for more than 12 hours. It's best not to use salad bars in restaurants, supermarkets or delicatessens. Refrigerated foods that are past their 'use by' or 'best before' dates should also not be eaten.

Various midwifes have advised me not to eat/drink MACDONALDS ice cream or milkshakes as they do not store their products ie.milk, at a cold enough temperature to avoid listeria etc....

yes you can but not from ice cream vans. I remember with my first son, I was told that it had something to do with the ingredients that you shouldn't eat ice cream from ice cream vans. All I ate when pregnant with my oldest was FAB ice lollies and there was a time when Burgerking used to do mini cornets which is what I ate - my son is now a healthy 7 year old. Just don't eat too much at once.

Well, it's kind of true, but it's not something you need worry about. The reason behind this theory is that icecream, if allowed to melt, and then refrozen, is very prone to salmonella, and this is dangerous to pregnant women. However, these days, all supermarkets etc have very efficient temperature controlled delivery vans, and good freezer systems so anything you buy will not have been allowed to thaw then get re-frozen. You would only need to be careful in perhaps little corner shops, or buying from icecream carts - but if you buy from a large, reputable store, you will be absolutely fine. Of course, if you have icecream at home and you let it melt, don't stick it back in the freezer! And if you are still worried, eat icelollies - they're absolutely fine.

Ice cream from the tub is fine; I'd be wary of ice cream from vans etc. though, because of hygiene. Also make sure you don't have any that might contain raw egg.

I was pregnant in the summer too & had big cravings for ice lollies, which are also really good to cool you down in the heat! :)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

can you eat ice cream when pregnant?

Source(s): eat ice cream pregnant: https://shortly.im/rsQS1

I eat a bowl of ice cream maybe 3 times a week...just eat in moderation afterall it does have milk that the baby needs right lol ....I think its fine to eat ice cream....you gotta live a little

Source(s): 27 weeks pregnant with baby austin
  • Oh, poop. You can definitely eat ice cream. I loved ice cream while I was pregnant.

You should start by not wanting to get pregnant, just have sex everyday or every other day and don't think about getting pregnant, just have fun with your partner.

after sex-put a pillow under your butt or prop your feet up on the wall so your pelvis is tilted

eat healthy

back off caffiene

workout,even if its just a 30 minute walk a day,be active!!

Get more useful information and guides to get pregnant here:

I was advised by my midwife not to eat soft whipped ice cream, say from an ice cream van, but all other ice cream was fine.