How long is too long to wait to ask to marry someone?

we have been dating for about 5 years, living together for about 3 1/2. i am starting to feel like i am wasting my time. he is 46 and i am 42. he was married and deviorced and his ex took him to the cleaners but i feel that he still has feelings for her, he jumps at everything she asks for even though he calls her... show more we have been dating for about 5 years, living together for about 3 1/2. i am starting to feel like i am wasting my time.
he is 46 and i am 42. he was married and deviorced and his ex took him to the cleaners but i feel that he still has feelings for her, he jumps at everything she asks for even though he calls her b* t* h face. she is engaged to be married soon and i know she is totally over him. i ran into an old friend and he was really impressed on how i look, he made that very clear and it really made me feel like i need more in a relationship that i am not getting.i do love my boyfriend but there is something missing and i think it is making me eager to move on. has anyone else been in this situation before and what did you do???