Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

so how do you know what bible is the truth?

you have the one catholic bible, who I believe is the same writings in all the bibles that support the catholic faith. I believe it is just one book right???? not all these translations??????

and you have the Orthodox(or unorthodox??) bible.

I can not get God to answer me on the way. Silent. one bible has 6 added books(Catholic) and the other does not, KJV and etc.

So I do not read the bible, for I have no oil in my lamp. Till God puts the oil in the lamp, then I will see the path.

flaws. Catholic bible, have none that I know of.

orthodox bible, there are 650 different bibles and it is still the # 1 seller in the world, talk about OIL.

but this is still not enough proof, because I am pentecostal and the Catholics have a whole different religion. I have to see with my spirit on the truth, not by my eye's....but if you are wise enough to stir my heart, I welcome you to try? So if you can help me it would be great?

not to mention 650 different english bibles. I mean GEEES

not to mention there are 6 books or chpt added to the catholic bible, and 6 books missing from KJV bibles.

I am talking about the bible, not the church. I am sure that church has done things they are not suppose to do as what is in the bible. Forget about the church. THE BIBLE. I am sure the teachings in there book dos not say to have a inquister, and pay for sins and stuff....but what do I know???

Scripture Alone Disproves "Scripture Alone"

Gen. to Rev. - Scripture never says that Scripture is the sole infallible authority for God's Word. Scripture also mandates the use of tradition. This fact alone disproves sola Scriptura.

Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15 - those that preached the Gospel to all creation but did not write the Gospel were not less obedient to Jesus, or their teachings less important.

Matt. 28:20 - "observe ALL I have commanded," but, as we see in John 20:30; 21:25, not ALL Jesus taught is in Scripture. So there must be things outside of Scripture that we must observe. This disproves "Bible alone" theology.

Mark 16:15 - Jesus commands the apostles to "preach," not write, and only three apostles wrote. The others who did not write were not less faithful to Jesus, because Jesus gave them no directive to write. There is no evidence in the Bible or elsewhere that Jesus intended the Bible to be sole authority of the Christian faith.

Luke 1:1-4 - Luke acknowledges that the faithful have already received the teachings of Christ, and is writing his Gospel only so that they "realize the certainty of the teachings you have received." Luke writes to verify the oral tradition they already received.

John 20:30; 21:25 - Jesus did many other things not written in the Scriptures. These have been preserved through the oral apostolic tradition and they are equally a part of the Deposit of Faith.

Acts 8:30-31; Heb. 5:12 - these verses show that we need help in interpreting the Scriptures. We cannot interpret them infallibly on our own. We need divinely appointed leadership within the Church to teach us.

Acts 15:1-14 – Peter resolves the Church’s first doctrinal issue regarding circumcision without referring to Scriptures.

Acts 17:28 – Paul quotes the writings of the pagan poets when he taught at the Aeropagus. Thus, Paul appeals to sources outside of Scripture to teach about God.

1 Cor. 5:9-11 - this verse shows that a prior letter written to Corinth is equally authoritative but not part of the New Testament canon. Paul is again appealing to a source outside of Scripture to teach the Corinthians. This disproves Scripture alone.

1 Cor. 11:2 - Paul commends the faithful to obey apostolic tradition, and not Scripture alone.

Phil. 4:9 - Paul says that what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do. There is nothing ever about obeying Scripture alone.

Col. 4:16 - this verse shows that a prior letter written to Laodicea is equally authoritative but not part of the New Testament canon. Paul once again appeals to a source outside of the Bible to teach about the Word of God.

1 Thess. 2:13 – Paul says, “when you received the word of God, which you heard from us..” How can the Bible be teaching first century Christians that only the Bible is their infallible source of teaching if, at the same time, oral revelation was being given to them as well? Protestants can’t claim that there is one authority (Bible) while allowing two sources of authority (Bible and oral revelation).

1 Thess. 3:10 - Paul wants to see the Thessalonians face to face and supply what is lacking. His letter is not enough.

2 Thess. 2:14 - Paul says that God has called us "through our Gospel." What is the fullness of the Gospel?

2 Thess. 2:15 - the fullness of the Gospel is the apostolic tradition which includes either teaching by word of mouth or by letter. Scripture does not say "letter alone." The Catholic Church has the fullness of the Christian faith through its rich traditions of Scripture, oral tradition and teaching authority (or Magisterium).

2 Thess 3:6 - Paul instructs us to obey apostolic tradition. There is no instruction in the Scriptures about obeying the Bible alone (the word "Bible" is not even in the Bible).

1 Tim. 3:14-15 - Paul prefers to speak and not write, and is writing only in the event that he is delayed and cannot be with Timothy.

2 Tim. 2:2 - Paul says apostolic tradition is passed on to future generations, but he says nothing about all apostolic traditions being eventually committed to the Bible.

2 Tim. 3:14 - continue in what you have learned and believed knowing from whom you learned it. Again, this refers to tradition which is found outside of the Bible.

James 4:5 - James even appeals to Scripture outside of the Old Testament canon ("He yearns jealously over the spirit which He has made...")

2 Peter 1:20 - interpreting Scripture is not a matter of one's own private interpretation. Therefore, it must be a matter of "public" interpretation of the Church. The Divine Word needs a Divine Interpreter. Private judgment leads to divisions, and this is why there are 30,000 different Protestant denominations.

2 Peter 3:15-16 - Peter says Paul's letters are inspired, but not all his letters are in the New Testament canon. See, for example, 1 Cor. 5:9-10; Col. 4:16. Also, Peter's use of the word "ignorant" means unschooled, which presupposes the requirement of oral apostolic instruction that comes from the Church.

2 Peter 3:16 - the Scriptures are difficult to understand and can be distorted by the ignorant to their destruction. God did not guarantee the Holy Spirit would lead each of us to infallibly interpret the Scriptures. But this is what Protestants must argue in order to support their doctrine of sola Scriptura. History and countless divisions in Protestantism disprove it.

1 John 4:1 - again, God instructs us to test all things, test all spirits. Notwithstanding what many Protestants argue, God's Word is not always obvious.

1 Sam. 3:1-9 - for example, the Lord speaks to Samuel, but Samuel doesn't recognize it is God. The Word of God is not self-attesting.

1 Kings 13:1-32 - in this story, we see that a man can't discern between God's word (the commandment "don't eat") and a prophet's erroneous word (that God had rescinded his commandment "don't eat"). The words of the Bible, in spite of what many Protestants must argue, are not always clear and understandable. This is why there are 30,000 different Protestant churches and one Holy Catholic Church.

Gen. to Rev. - Protestants must admit that knowing what books belong in the Bible is necessary for our salvation. However, because the Bible has no "inspired contents page," you must look outside the Bible to see how its books were selected. This destroys the sola Scriptura theory. The canon of Scripture is a Revelation from God which is necessary for our salvation, and which comes from outside the Bible. Instead, this Revelation was given by God to the Catholic Church, the pinnacle and foundation of the truth (1 Tim. 3:15).

1) All bibles (other than the autographs, which are lost) are the product of man, and so are likely to contain errors as a result. Additionally, translation always results in a less-than-perfect transmission of the meaning of the original language. Therefore, *no* bible is 100% the true word of God. Nevertheless, the bible is the closest thing that we have, and scholars are continually making efforts to produce scholarly translations that are closer to the authentic original word of God. I am continually seeking bible translations that are more accurate and authentic than the ones I have.

2) Catholic bibles - the Roman Catholics approve several versions for use (I know of at least 8 in English), and at least two versions *not* produced by the Roman Catholic Church have received their highest authorization, that for liturgical use (RSV, NRSV). So, "Catholic" bibles, although they demand a different arrangement of scriptures than that found in "non-Catholic" bibles, do not demand a translation different from that of "non-Catholic" bibles.

3) Eastern Orthodox sects, in general, require scriptures in addition to the Apocrypha. These are available in editions of the RSV and NRSV, though I do not know if those versions have received formal approval from any Eastern Orthodox sect.

http://www.jimpettis.com/jimpettis/bibles/chart.ht...

4) The Apocrypha - was included in all bibles for nearly 1200 years, and is still available in the King James Version (if you get the right edition) as well as several other translations. There are actually 9 books and several other scriptures included in the Apocrypha. The Roman Catholic Church does not accept 2 of these books (and 1 additional scripture), and so recent Catholic bibles produced by the Roman Catholic Church normally omit them. Read more about *why* the Apocrypha was omitted from some bibles, and whether or not you should care, here

http://www.jimpettis.com/jimpettis/bibles/dc.htm

I hope this helps.

Jim

Only the Holy Spirit will ever stir your spirit. But I agree that the fact that there are so many versions of the Bible can seem quite overwhelming, and confusing, and this can surely cause one to become discouraged. I believe that all that care to read the Bible should stick with the K.J.V Bible. God does speak to us through his Word. Pray that God will fill your lamp with the Oil of the Holy Spirit. I strongly believe that the Devil has purposefully inspired man to create so many versions for the intent to confuse and discourage people from believing Gods World, and making it seem as if there is no actual truth. But I assure you that the K.J.V Bible is indeed the truth of Gods Word. My own experience of life and circumstances have made it quite clear to me that the Bible is truth, and within this truth is a rich wealth of wisdom and great peace, comfort and hope. Yet sometimes we need to dig deep to find the large nuggets of gold.

I will just quote some scriptures . 2 Cor 4:4 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 1 Cor 1:26-31 26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." John 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. Matthew 5:5 5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. No mention of education, culture, station in life, or ethnic group not being able to come to accurate knowledge .

The Catholic church would prefer you didn't read the Bible but rather have it read to you.

1 - show me more than half the "Stations of the Cross" in the verses.

2 - three days and three nights (as Jonah) between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning?

3 - Selling indulgences?

4 - The Crusades?

5 - The Inquisition?

Fundies make me even angrier though.

• Rahab

The 6 books that you are refering to are called the Apocrypha. While these books are not included in the modern KJV Bibles, they were included in ALL KJV Bibles printed before 1640.

The Jews were a real problem to the Romans so the emperor put together the bible and invented Christi and most of it's tenets as a disinformation exercise to control them.

He did such a good job they are still under Roman control to this day!!!!

All Bibles are interpretations of different groups of people must from ages ago but as long as their is man there will be new men reinventing the Bible to what they want it to say

All spiritual texts have some truth in them. It is up to you to decide what feels right to you after you have read them. You can also find truth about God in the writings of great people and in poetry, art and music (not to mention nature). Spiritual texts, including the Jewish and Christian bibles do not hold the patent on truth but neither should they be discarded because they do hold some truth.

long question,

actually on the catholic and protestant bibles it is the other way around.

the protestants have a bible with 6 less books.

Source(s): French Catholic

I'm getting too tired to read more than the bold print so here goes the answer to the bold print: no, I don't know. Whew, that was hard enough.