"I don't think abortion is right because every life matters". Well, *why* does it matter?

What have we lost by not having another unwanted baby in a world of 6 billion people? It *might* have turned out to be another Einstein, but equally it might have turned out to be another mass murderer - since we can't possibly know, we can't use that as an argument. The life that would have been,... show more What have we lost by not having another unwanted baby in a world of 6 billion people? It *might* have turned out to be another Einstein, but equally it might have turned out to be another mass murderer - since we can't possibly know, we can't use that as an argument. The life that would have been, isn't going to miss being alive, because it will never have the capacity to regret not being born. So, why *does* an unwanted life matter?
Update: "I've always wondered just who would it satisfy if a woman has a baby and gives it up for adoption. There's already enough orphans in this world." - Yes indeed, very well said.
Update 2: "I believe sentience to matter.
If the potential for life was what gives value It would mean I exterminated the equivalent of three times the popuIation of this world by "dating myself"." - An excellent and very perceptive point.
Update 3: "Biologically speaking, a tumor is just as much of a life as a first-trimester fetus. I don't often see bible-thumpers picketing the oncology center at my local hospital." - Not a perspective I'm familiar with, but persuasively presented :-)
Update 4: "If you believe an unwanted baby is not valuable, then an unwanted person that is born must not be valuable either." - Good argument, but sentience is the crucial difference here, as an earlier contributor pointed out.
Update 5: "And if we're going to take the view that it wont miss it's life because it wouldn't have been born, well how would anyone miss their life if they're dead? If they die and cease to exist, they wouldn't have the capacity to feel sorrow over losing their life." - Well argued, but again... show more "And if we're going to take the view that it wont miss it's life because it wouldn't have been born, well how would anyone miss their life if they're dead? If they die and cease to exist, they wouldn't have the capacity to feel sorrow over losing their life." - Well argued, but again there is a difference between destroying a sentient life and one that has not developed sentience. Can we really equate a virtually featureless blob of cells to a fully formed thinking human being?
Update 6: "In my opinion, that's just it: It's not really a life. I don't have a problem with abortion, at the descretion of the mother / father / doctors through the first trimester. After that, last resort basis. But within the first three months, a fetus does not have the capacity for... show more "In my opinion, that's just it: It's not really a life.

I don't have a problem with abortion, at the descretion of the mother / father / doctors through the first trimester. After that, last resort basis.

But within the first three months, a fetus does not have the capacity for self-awareness. They cannot feel pain nor remorse. Some say they're living cells, well so is grass, but we run it over with a lawn mower.

One thing I find interesting is that people will go to the end of the world to save unborn lives.. but what about those already born and about to end? Ever heard of Darfur? Ever heard of Iraq? Ever heard of cancer?

Another thing I find intriguing is that, if you were to take the fetus of a pig, and the fetus of a human, in its early stages, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.. And yet, we raise the pig to kill it, while desperately defending the life of the clump of cells that is the human." - Excellent answer, every word.