At a funeral is it normal practise for the family to tip the undertakers?

Not at any of the funerals that I have been to....funerals don't come cheap so lots of people won't have anything left to tip.

I think I know where you are coming from. Where I live you certainly would not tip the undertakers but usually from an old custom you usually tip the grave diggers. However, at my in-laws funerals in recent years this was actually brought up by the Funeral Directors (undertakers) and if we wished to give the grave diggers a gratuity they actually were the ones that passed this on and it was included in the funeral account.

• Barb B

This is nothing that I have ever heard of. The undertaker is paid handsomely for their skills. I do know that the length of time the body will be held (how many days the body has to look good for viewing) effects the price of the procedure. Also, the amount of time the body will be on view (not in the cooler that slows decomposition) effects the fees. ... But no, tipping the undertaker is not a normal practice.

Funerals today are of course expensive, but this is not something that is the fault of the grave digger. It is only good manners to tip the grave digger, and ususally they will be the ones that are looking after the grounds in the cemetary keeping it nice for when you come to visit.

Absolutely NOT! Do you realise how much a funeral costs???? They get enough money from the family as it is. It is their job to deal with the dead. You don't tip a nurse, or a shop assistant do you? Its the same thing.

This is something I have NEVER heard of!

I would think that the exhorbitant fees charged by the funeral home would be completely sufficient.

Grieving people don't need to worry about such foolish things!

• ?

No, I know we are all glad of them in times of bereavement

but their charges are quite adequate for what they do and a simple thankyou should be enough.

• Momma

No it is not....your fees should cover all their services. And under no circumstances should they take advantage of you!

ive never heard of it so i dont think its normal practice.

In my family we always do tip them.