Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

how to get rid of rats?

i have a dog who spends lots of time in the garden but seem to have developed a rat problem under my shed any tips on how to get rid of them?

• Sally

Poison is the only way could get a pest controller in but they are expensive, you can but poison from most garden centres and food you put them in a tray then put it in the shed, dont oviouly put it anywhere where your dog can get it, the rat will then take the poison back to the nest. if you dont do this there is a risk the whole family of rats could come to you. Good Luck

• Tracy

Well some of the ways I got rid of Rats in our yard when first movied in 10 years ago. Put Decon Traps for Rats, then also placed Math Balls around the top 2" X 4" on my Wood Fence. This kept the Rats off the fence and the Dcon Took care the rest of the Family over a period, two weeks. The neighbors and I have not had any more rats Visible for the rest time we been living at this location. However I change the Traps twice a year and put out Fresh Baited traps for Rats and Field Mice. We have two vacant lots around us. That attract the rodents. However they do not call our place home any more.

rats love dog poo so make sure you clean up the dog mess. they will eat the poo and you will never get rid of them you can buy rat bait from any good garden centre to put under the shed

you can get poison in "bait" bags,it costs a little bit more than buying it loose,but if you look round your shed you will see "rat runs", tracks they are using regular. put a bat bag under the shed there, or poke it down a hole if you can see one. keep dog away from garden or supervise it till you have cured the problem so it can not get any poison. the rats will take the bait bag in to their hole, keep putting down bait bags till they stop disappearing. but keep an eye open for any bags pulled in to the open (so the dog cannot get them)

• Dancer

put out a big bucket. From one side of the bucket to the other, put a string, in the middle put a can with a glop of peanut butter. You can fill the bucket with water if you want.

DO NOT USE STICKY PAPER!!!! THIS IS REALLY BAD FOR THE RATS AND SOMETIMES THEY BIGHT OFF THERE OWN LEG AND WALK AROUND TRAILING BLOOD AND THIS IS UNPLEASENT!!!

• Kit

we have very recently had the exact same problem my dad blocked any holes going under the shed, then called the council they will put poison down and i believe they did it for free

smoke out the buggers and set a pac of jack russels on them.

or buy some rat traps. poisen might be risky if you have a dog

get a plastic container thing of the pest controller at the council wi a bit of poison

Use poison traps, or alternatively inform the pest control to get further advice.

There is only one way to get rid of Ratty

Just insult him by shouting out "get lost fatty"

If you then still have probs

just give me a bell,

and I'll bring along me rifle

and send 'em straight to Hell.