HIV and Aids, if you have unprotected sex with someone infected will you catch it 100%?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I was stupid the other night, the part of the world i am in is rife with it yet when i was with a lady the first time i used protection the second i didn't! To much alchool, now i ...show more
Best Answer
its not 100 % that you will get it, in different parts of the world the chance ratio is different, it also depends on how long the person has had it, what their hygene standards are like...

Source:

next time, dont be silly and wrap your willy
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (21)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • ukmolly answered 6 years ago
    Not 100%; I don't think there have been any studies on the transmission of HIV by a single sexual encounter, so there's not much good data to base a percentage chance on. One study I read suggested that repeated exposure to the virus may be required for most people to catch HIV, but it wasn't very strongly supported.

If she has HIV you may have it. But you might not. You're right about getting tested, and until then must always use a condom even with someone you're sure isn't infected, in case you are. And, of course, afterwards too if there's any risk that your partner has an STI.

Have you contacted her to ask if she has HIV? It might be worth it to set your mind at ease, if you're comfortable asking. If you have got it, you must contact her to let her know in case she's not been diagnosed yet.

Maybe you could cut back on alcohol in future if it leads you to do things against your own judgement.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out OK.
    • 4
    • Comment
  • vcrimson answered 6 years ago
    there are very few 100%'s in life, but you have certainly put yourself at risk, and therefore you should get tested. There are instances where a person with aids has had non protected sex with a non-hiv+ person, and the infection was not transmitted, but they are very lucky.
    you can find some more information about the transmission of aids here: http://www.aids.org/info/FAQs.html

Source(s):

http://www.aids.org/info/FAQs.html
    • 4
    • Comment
  • Jazone answered 6 years ago
    You seem to have pretty much all the answers yourself already. You know to get tested and you know to get tested for multiple STI's. You're on the right track. As everyone here said, nothing's 100%. I'm just answering to provide more support.
    I would say, stick to your plan of getting tested. Be sure not to mess around with anyone else until after you know. And most importantly, do not stress yourself. Remember that getting test results only reveals what's already happened. Stressing about it won't change a thing. There's a lot of help and support out there, so just do the mature thing and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Dr Frank answered 6 years ago
    Nothing is 100%, not even catching an STD or HIV. ( You don't catch AIDS, you develop it as a result of HIV infection. ) Other sexually trasmitted diseases such as hepatitis C are in fact easier to contract. You will have to wait for your results I am afraid.

Source(s):

GP for more years than I care to remember
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Steve C answered 6 years ago
    I think that you need research this a bit more. I did sometime ago and the chances if my memory serves me right were in excess of 10000 to 1 for a one off encounter.

Its easier for a woman to contract from a man (and of course male to male) and through blood and needles etc than it is for one off straight sex female to male.

Good luck you won't be the first or last to make a mistake....
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Danielle S answered 6 years ago
    All doctors (and obviously people on here) will answer this differently (as they would with any medical question or concern).
    Believe this, THINK GOOD and only good. Honestly Im not trying to push my beliefs on you but seriously, WHAT GOOD IS GOING TO COME OUT OF you putting yourself through hell worrying you contracted something?
    This was obviously the wake up call you needed. No you cant look at someone and tell if they have a disease...but this was LIFES way of saying you cant continue on - binders or fun boys nights out, without putting your health first.
    So if I were you - I would make a resolution to change.
    I think you are worrying way too much about WHAT IF.... and lets face it, no matter how bad you want to - you cant take back the other night...
    So If I were you (during the horrible waiting period) I would startmaking the changes to live my life differently.
    Do not allow yourself to think about or worry about this....(then the stress will give you weird side effects and you will assume you def have some disease..lol).. just move forward. My guess is - youre totally fine, not because Im a doctor or anything like that....but because c'mon - thats a long shot. Its different if you invite the WRONG people (people you are sure live a lifestyle for concern)... over and continue to play russian roulet...but you made a mistake.
    Do the right thing ....get tested (more than once) and never forget it - so you never make these mistakes again!

I hope Ive helped some!

Good luck!!!
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Bunny answered 6 years ago
    not 100% but you should get yourself checked now for other STI's and then take advice about when to go back for HIV text.

You do not have to use your real name and address at a sexual health clinic - they are happy for you to use fake details but at GP would have to use real details.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • portia answered 6 years ago
    No luckily, because you are the male lets say you are the one who 'gives' and she is the one who 'recieves'.
    You may still have catched something or not but to be safe in the mean time make sure you use protection and the she is on the pill. If the protection doesn't work then she could have a child that the infection would also pass on to.
    Hope I helped.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • sheritzy answered 6 years ago
    not 100% but very very close to that if she has got it u wud have to be very lucky not to get it
    • 2
    • Comment
  • babe77 (caitlins mum) answered 6 years ago
    have u asked her if she has an infection not everyone does find out but i think that she would of told u if she was considerate enough
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• melissa h answered 6 years ago
    let me tell you a story about 8 yrs ago i hagd revenge sex on my boyfriend well come to find my "partener" was hiv positive yes we were unprotected fortunatily i didnt get it but come to find out he was purposly going around trying to infect girls for his revenge several girls i know got aids from him some evevn had babies he has 13 kids now they were smart and sent him to prison for it moral of story always use protection but you may still be alright this time but not next time i have had 2 kids since him and we are all healthy i still go for testing it scared me so bad but if i did get it it wolud've shown up by now
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Bryan answered 6 years ago
    ***Please understand that I'm not trying to discount anybody's first-hand experience with HIV/AIDS***

First of all, you didn't do anything overly risky. HIV/AIDS education is unfortunately messed up beyond belief in this country, allowing some people to believe they are at equal risk of contracting HIV as other people, while others get little to no education about how the virus is transmitted under sexual conditions particular to themselves. Let's state up front: just about everybody can contract HIV under the right circumstances-- however heterosexual sex with partners who have no IV drug-use history and have fewer sexual partners is fairly low risk. HIV/AIDS cases are still proportionately confined largely to gay male populations, IV drug-users and men and their female sex partners living in very orthodox cultures where having male-to-male sexual contact is so taboo that prevention efforts are often stymied by cultural mores (this means that these ostensibly "heterosexual" men who have sex with other men have a greater chance of passing along infections like HIV to their female sex partners because they are disallowed the comfort of open communication and hence, education and healthcare). That being said, everybody should be concerned for their health and the health of their sexual partners, male, female, gay, straight, black, white, yellow, green, brown, (if one wants to think in such rigid terms) and otherwise. You should be tested for HIV with some regularity if you are sexually active, but unless you have reasonable suspicion that you were exposed, you shouldn't worry yourself sick about a one-time lapse in condom use. If every "heterosexual" were at risk the same as a man who has sex with men (either those who do it under discreet conditions or those professed as gay or bisexual), then the comparatively lower use of condoms in heterosexual sex contacts as compared with gay male sex contacts would mean that the HIV rate would be substantially higher in the supposedly-strictly-heterosexual community. This just isn't the case----- yet.

However, things change-- already HIV/AIDS is afflicting communities of color much harder than their hetero-euro-descendant counterparts, for the same reason why I stated above-- HIV/AIDS education and healthcare are culturally inaccessible in many cases (to everybody, but especially men who have sex with men discreetly but lead "heterosexual" lives)-- throw in identity politics and it just becomes a mess nearly impossible to sort through. So, women of color (hardest hit are black women, but also latinas) are being exposed to HIV, often times because of socio-economic status disadvantages. This is a large bridge into the "heterosexual" world, but depending on who you are, who you have sex with, your chances of contracting HIV are very different from the poster-boy images of the early 1980's.

In order for a male to contract HIV from a female during sex, he would pretty much have to have blood-to-blood contact with an infected partner (that is, she's bleeding, either from a cut/wound or menstrual cycle and the man has a opening/wound/cut that would allow the infected blood exposure to unprotected tissues), or have a wound/cut/whatever somewhere that would be inserted into an area containing virus carrying fluid (such as a cut/sore on the penis during vaginal intercourse).

And for the record, oral sex has a very very low rate of HIV transmission and requires sores/cuts in the mouth/esophagus and infected fluids to be introduced into those cuts. Saliva is inhospitable and does not carry HIV because of enzymes that kill the virus, stomach acid destroys the virus.

I don't know your sexual practices, but if you have sex primarily with women and only have the occasional "oops I forgot the condom" slip-up with no other glaring concerns from the encounter (e.g., she had cuts/sores, or said she was HIV positive) then go get tested, but don't stress out too much about it.

Source(s):

HIV/AIDS czar
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Max P answered 6 years ago
    Contrary to most answers here, the chances of a man getting infected from a single encounter with a woman are (relatively) low, at least compared to the near 100% risk most people here seem to imply:

"In general, the risk of a man getting HIV from a woman during vaginal intercourse in the United States is low--probably less than 1 out of 1,000 exposures will result in actual infection. This risk may be higher if the woman is having her period, and may also be higher in poor countries."

This is due to the fact that the virus can only be transfered via the entry of bodily fluids, and so the only way a man can get it is if an infected woman's vaginal fluid enters the man through his urethra, a cut, or a sore on his penis. It is much more likely for a woman or a gay man to get infected from vaginal or anal intercourse because the virus can be absorbed through the thin membrane of the vaginal and anal walls. It's a matter of surface area exposure.

I really hope nobody flames me for sharing this information. Of course I am not saying that men shouldn't always practice safe sex in a situation they aren't 100% sure about. After all, would you play Russian Roulette with a gun even if there was only a 1 in 1000 chance of it blowing your brains out? But exaggerating or misrepresenting the risks is not right either. Please practice safe sex, and get yourself tested, but more than likely you will be okay.

Source(s):

http://www.hiv.va.gov/vahiv?page=ptfaq-2006-03-20
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • El answered 6 years ago
    to catch HIV/AIDS you do need a lot of bodily fluids exchanged.

I would say it is a hit an miss if you contracted it and regretfully I would say it is not a 100% guarantee that you now have it. I'm sorry I can't help much further.

I hope your test and other tests prove negative.

On an empathy note: I have Hepatitis C by being an IV drug user in the past and I know what that felt like waiting for those results and every time I have a test to see if my treatment is working. I don't envy your situation but do understand what that feels like for you.

Best of luck with the wait and you already know what to do next time.

Peace Bro

El
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • sharky answered 6 years ago
    most likely you will, always wear protection to be safe
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Quinn answered 6 years ago
    you could have unprotected sex with someone with hiv just once and become infected but not always the case there I've read of a couple who didn't know one partner was infected and they had unprotected sex several times but the negative partner was still negitive but that's prob just luck all you can do is wait until you can get tested
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • animal cracker answered 6 years ago
    Well i understand drink can make us all a little stupid.I most first say its may be unluikley that she has Aids but u never know she may have it.Its is NOT 100% sure at all that you will now have aids but its not 100% that you wont you will just have 2 wait.Try not 2 beat your self up about it and learn a valuble lesson.The problem with Aids is that yoo can not see if someone has it.If it was only 1 women and se isnt the local bike then it may be quite sure thta she doesnt have it .Even if u do have it , it will only be HIV viru at the momnet and u can have a treatment called psp i fink its called and u can still live with it .You have done the write thing go 2 doctors , if u have it they will catch it quick anoth 2 do something !
    Good luck
    Ac
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Jax answered 6 years ago
    Hi there just want to say that a new Swiss study apparently is saying that a person HIV+ having treatment and having a viral load that is undetectable for 6 months < cannot transmit the disease....so I guess if she is HIV+ and with all of the above there is some possibility you may be ok.......but...... I truely cant understand how the swiss can prove this positively cause I am damn sure if I didnt already have it I would not be the dummy volonteering to put this theory to the test.....
    GOOD LUCK with your next testing.
    cheers Jac HIV+ for almost 2 years

Source(s):

Internet and newsletter
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • scorpio answered 6 years ago
    of course u will. get your head out of the sand.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • big ed answered 6 years ago
    hard to say but id make a will
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Bend it like Bender answered 6 years ago
    if she got it you screwed

Source(s):

i'm from south africa
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock